Notices

Living with a hoarder

Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Living with a hoarder

Hello All,

I recently had to move back in with my family b/c I relapsed-lost my job. I was trying my best to escape from a very unhappy family situation. Lots of verbal abuse - yelling, constant put downs, and sadly its a filthy house with insect infestations clutter slime, you name it.

I'm not being charged rent so I know I should be grateful but any attempts to clean and organized I get put down, chastized. Home life was always like this and I used to pathological lie to friends to be accepted growing up to explain why I could never have company over.

Anyway, the job market is lousy, I've applied to many jobs and no one called me back. I'm terribly debt ridden and I worry and fret what will happen to me and how will I cope with my living situation.

I thought of moving into another half way house (i've been down that path before) but that still cost money and i right now I have no job. My family does need my help for things (grocery shopping, paying bills, errands, etc...) I am definately needed here but the living situation, sucks. I must confess I am dependent on them to pay for my existence (cellphone bill, autoinsurance, gas) so I can get recovery and get on my feet.

But, it seems my father can't have a pleasant conversation with anyone, always has to put people down (he's done this all his life but lately he gets worse and is out of control b/c of his alzheimers, and I feel helpless as this is his house and I'm a grown adult age 41. I have gotton angry and just used drugs to escape and perhap subconsiously get even. Any words of encourgement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It sounds like an unhealthy and toxic situation to be living in, especially when you are working on early recovery.

The Salvation Army offers free rehab for anyone who wants it. Why not check out the Salvation Army in your area?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll give them a call and check it out, thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Best wishes!

You have a car (I don't, yet), go to the library, park, museum-get out when you can. Please do look into alternative housing.