Think healing thoughts for my Westie pup...

Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think healing thoughts for my Westie pup...

I dropped her off this morning at the Wichita humane society for a spay and microchip. I worked half a day and will go back at 4 to pick her up.

Hopefully she heals well without any problems. I have a crate for her to rest in the first few days. With 2 dogs under the age of 2 and 2 under the age of 1, she'll need that crate to discourage rough-housing while she heals!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Healing thoughts headed your way. She should be fine. Do you have an out of the way place, like a spare room or something, you could put her crate for the rest of today and tonight?
Old 10-08-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Healing thoughts headed your way. She should be fine. Do you have an out of the way place, like a spare room or something, you could put her crate for the rest of today and tonight?
I was planning on putting her in my bedroom. When I go to bed, the young dogs are crated for the night in the living room, so it will still be quiet in there for her when I go to bed.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wishing fast healing for her. What a challenge to keep her quiet at the age of 2. I forget how I managed with a 1 year old blue heeler when she was spayed. Seems no matter what age that's asking for a miracle, right?

Give her kisses for us!!

Alice
Old 10-08-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am sure that she will do just fine! Separating her sounds like a good idea.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AWHH! i have a 17 yr old westie, shaved down to the nubs so he looks more like an aarvark...Had him since birth...He is defying the age odds but know in my heart he doesnt have that much longer to go on this earth! but he's a trooper! Yours will be fine!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sending healing thoughts her way.....
Old 10-08-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

She's resting comfortably in her crate, such a good girl. She got a little watered-down canned food with her pain pill this evening. She didn't make it outside to potty but squatted on the floor. No biggie as it's moppable, and raining pretty good outside right now which she doesn't need to be getting wet!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hoping the little babe had a restful night and is doing well this morning

Wet pup kisses from my crew!

Alice
Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I get to do that next month when Lola hits 6 months old. Sending your pup prayers for a super fast recovery. If you find any awesome tips and tricks to make the healing more comfortable, send them my way!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

She slept through the night and I let her out this morning while the other dogs were still crated.

She goes right back into her kennel for a treat.

She puttered around in the yard later for about 30 minutes, and then back to bed she went!

She's really being very good. I suspect she's going to start wanting more activity by tomorrow, and she really needs a week to heal good.

It will be a challenge, but I've been through it before.

The incision looks great, no redness, swelling, or drainage.

I hope she continues to do well!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I'm glad she is doing well! Also that there is no redness so far cause as you and I know redness can mean 'licking', lol

I haven't had a dog yet that does not start licking at about 2 to 2 1/2 days after the surgery. So, when possible I don't use those dang E-Collars, even thought they have clear ones now.

With the large females, I take one of my old soft T-Shirts, put it on the dog with their front legs through the arms and then the tail of the shirt is pulled up very snug on their lower back and tied in a knot on their back, thus protecting the incision and keeping it away from the tongue, rofl. None of my females have yet to figure out how to get past the T shirt. Not even smarty pants Shania, lmao

For the smaller females I take an old T-shirt that is nice and soft, cut it up into 4" wide long strips. I wrap it around the middle several time covering the incision and again tie the two end together on their back.

Since you have been around animals almost as long as I have Dev, I'm sure you know this trick, but thought I would post it anyway for others, especially since Tuffgirl said her Lola gets her surgery next month.The boy dogs do not seem to lick as much, and with both Mitch and Pacho I had to use the E Collar because they had dew claws, ugly big sticking away from the body dew claws removed at the same time.

And Mitch being the smart little Belguin 'knew' when the stitches were to come out (10 days for dew claws) and promptly removed them the evening of the 9th day, roflmao I still took him to make sure he hadn't missed any, lol

Dev, I suspect with Poppy you will probably have to have an E Collar because of those dew claws of hers. Hopefully your vet has the 'clear' ones instead of the 'opaque' as they are not as frustrating for the animal.

So, enjoy your fur kids, give Miss Westie some extra lovins and she will be just find, and thank HP and the vet not able to have puppies.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-09-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Laurie! I did catch her trying to lick a couple times yesterday. I'll have to go to Dollar General to get a toddler t-shirt for her since she is so small, and I don't have that on hand.

Poppy is going to get those rear dew claws removed same time as the spay.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sending healing thoughts and puppy hugs for a fast recovery!