Notices

drink out of boredom part two

Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drink out of boredom part two

I posted earlier re: drinking when I'm bored. Well I cooked but did not clean out the fridge. I was so ancy today, could not sit still. My other half was watching football all day in the bedroom.

Around four O'Clock I decided to take the dog for a walk before dinner. When out that voice started. "Just stop at the liquor store and buy just one of those little bottles of rum. It would give a little buzz, fix the boredom and no one will know." Ill tell ya, I almost turned left down the street with the store and I know if I would have passed it I would have stopped in. But I said to myself, " Look . Boredom is not going to kill you. Just deal with it. You'll put some creative projects together next week that will keep you busy. Stop being such a baby turn right and go straight home." So I did. Another Day Sober.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yay! Great job!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

And, good for recognizing that you need to continue making changes in your life for your recovery to continue.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can totally relate, ventura. My addictive voice use to seize on boredom as an excuse to drink, too. Boredom was probably my biggest fear about living sober. That amazes me now. I was putting myself through the hell of active addiction because I didn't want to be bored? How insane is that?

The good news is that the boredom fades. I love being sober now. Last night, my neighbors and their friends were out drinking in their backward. From my bedroom I could hear their inane conversations. Talk about boring. Being drunk is the most tedious thing I know.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Do me and yourself a big favor. Clean out your fridge. Come back and share part three.
(I love experiments! I'll clean mine when I get home from my noon meeting)

Good decision!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats!!! Boredom is BIG TIME trigger for me as well.

Keep up the good work. We can be bored and not drink.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Near the end of my drinking career I started to find drinking soooo boring, but I didn't know how to do anything else. Now I am keeping myself busy with a billion things and I don't have much time to get bored. Also I have to remind myself, like you, that boredom is just a part of life and we have to learn to deal with it.

Are you doing anything to proactively keep yourself busy? (reading SR, meetings, new hobbies, etc?)