Notices

In the disease..

Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In the disease..

Hi all,

So I'm in my disease and i'm struggling to get out. I'm at the point where i need inspiration to get out. Soberity, aside from headaches, wasn't cutting it for me...I expected more. I'm 29 so trying to end this before it really takes my life. Any help would be great. I do plan on seein my doctor and hitting a meeting
Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Chris -

You said you "expected more" and I'm curious what that might be. Can you identify it a little more? How long were you sober?

I think it takes a while to learn how to live without alcohol. Life isn't easy, and as alcoholics it's tempting to assume that "sobriety sucks" rather than that life is hard at the moment. At least if we're sober, we can make changes and improve our lives over time.

I think talking to a doctor is a great idea. I know that, in addition to my recovery, I have to also treat my long-standing depression and anxiety. Alcohol wanted me to give up on myself many times, and I'm so glad I didn't. We're here for you..........
Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome! Get to doc, try rehab if you can't sgtop on your own. Then your life will have greater opportunities!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that Little Chris, but I'm glad you're back with us.

I expected being sober would fix all my problem - instead it actually made a lot of things a whole lot worse because it took away my coping mechanism for a whole load of things.

I had to do a lot of work and put in a lot of effort to learn new skills, resurrect some old ones, and to start dealing with some long unresolved issues.

Getting sober changed my life - but the real changes - the real happiness, the real peace - came with a little more time and effort.

D
Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

It takes time. It takes what it takes. Aligning your expectations to reality is a work in progress. You have it within you to get "there".

You are 29 and you want a better life.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
The problem with quitting is that it does send you straight into reality to view all of your problems with a clear head. Depending on how much damage you have done, it may not be pretty, but at least you'll have the opportunity to try and fix things. Otherwise, they will almost certainly get worse, usually at a faster pace as time goes on.

One thing I have learned is that if you think things can't possibly get any worse if you continue to feed your addiction, you are mistaken. Many things I thought would never happen, did happen. Every "bottom" seems to have a trap door, so to speak.