Notices

W/D all over again!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

W/D all over again!

What a Cruddy two days this has been for me. I'm three weeks out of W/D and am experiencing a wave of them all over again.
I've been posting for a while and for those of you who know me, I DO NOT use illegally. I've been taking meds for some very serious back issues.
I stopped my meds several weeks ago due to my hyperalgesia (meds were making my pain worse). I went through a week of moderate W/D the first week. The last two weeks have been a breeze up to yesterday. FYI, I did take meds for a week prior to my my quitting. Prior to that I was off for nearly a month. I was forced to take meds during that time because I could not walk due to the pain.
My pain has been elevated the last couple of days and for some reason I've been experiencing possible W/D - Malaise, fast heart beat, some low fever, restlessness, headache. I've gone through self W/D before but this time it seems to be a little different. Last night I ended up taking a Clonidine for the fast heartbeat and BP. That helped. I've taken NO prescription meds for 3 weeks now. Only Motrin and advil. No caffiene, good diet. No bathroom problems, etc!
My addict brain tells me to use but fortunately my 40something brain is experienced to tell it to STFU!
I'm a little better today other than the muscle spams in my lower back - that has been problematic for the last few days.
I'm very curious if my W/D is actually symptoms of high pain. It's been so long since I've had so much pain that I've forgotten what pain does.

For any of you Chronic pain folks... Have you experienced W/D weeks after this before? Or do you think it's the elevated pain?

P.S.
I want to be 100% of these meds (despite the pain) before I have back surgery in a couple of months. I'm having a cortical stimulator implanted into my lower lumbar (to block pain signals).
Old 09-24-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi IvanKatz,

At 3 weeks clean, I had to attend a 3 day conference where I was forced to be on my feet all weekend. I overdid it, but I didn't' have any choice. Lordy did I pay the price the next week. It was a real setback during my 4th week, where I was back to feeling as lethargic as I had, and my insomnia and restless body were worse. It was made worse by the fact I couldn't really slow down to recover. I really dragged for awhile.

It could be that your immune system was down, you were fighting something off, maybe you overdid it like I did. Even if you did nothing at all, all bets are off in the first month clean. You'll have all sorts of rebound stuff going on -- I mean, you'll feel like you're home free, and suddenly you hit a dip in the road.

It will pass.

FT
Old 09-24-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't say I overdid it! I just got back from spending 6 days at the beach. I must say it was the first vacation I've taken in the last 3 years where I didn't have my little helpers. I did avoid taking those long walks on the beach (My wife likes to take me on these daily Baton Death Marches"...
I did walk about 1-2 miles per day - the distance I can walk before my Stenosis & disk pain kicks in.
During my vacation I was pretty good with one exception... 5 hours driving made the back quite tight.
I have to go to a wedding tonight and I am DREADING IT!!!!!! Friggin perky young people getting hammered and running around like 5 year old's on Krispy Kremes..... Shoot me now before the misery comes!
Dang, I'm getting Krusty way before my time!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Maybe too much sun? If you got sunburned, that leads to dehydration, leads to increased toxins in the system....?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL! Too much Sun LOL!!!! It was rainy and overcast all week on the East Coast.... Which was WONDERFUL because that prevented my wife from running around all over the place.
It was VERY nice and relaxing though. Got a chance to have some fun without over doing it. One thing, I did not go through heavy W/D this time because my meds were low this time. NOTHING like I went through when I went CT from Oxymorphone last Jan... WOW! I thought I was going to die. It took me 4 weeks before I felt remotely normal. I said I would never get on such high dosage ever again and I have'nt. THe most I've had since then is 40mg of perc per day... Ave was 20mg. Oxymorphone (Opana is the DEVIL!!!!!!!!!). Works great for 4 weeks then BAM!!!!!!! Sorry, game over! No workie no more but your addicted!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Well, IvanKatz, good on ya for hanging in there. Sometimes it doesn't seem worth it when you feel like crap. When that happens to me, I have to remind myself that NORMAL people don't feel good all the time, so why should I expect to?

Maybe this is just a bad week and has nothing to do with detox. In any event, it should pass. If not, of course get yourself checked out.

Ft
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perhaps it's a bug. If I still feel like doodoo though. on Monday I'll go see my doc if I still feel bad.
Sure enough at the wedding I saw an old friend who offered some of his meds (he has multiple spinal fusions and an amputee (his leg was ripped off during a drilling rig accident. We used to work together on a deep water gulf oil rig).
He offered and I passed despite my back being on fire. It wasn't that hard though. Being with my beautiful wife and Knowing I have some relief coming in a couple of months is enough for me. Besides, I may get lucky in the morning - who knows : )
When I have the implant I don't want the complication of being FORCED to W/D. I did it on my own darn terms!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Other than the constant back pain, those phantom W/D have completely gone. Actually went out and spent the day outside for most of the afternoon and had a grand time with a friend. Weather was nice and cool and got some good physical activity in. I paid for it last night with all the tossing and turning from lower back pain though... But it was worth it!