Notices

Introduction

Old 09-15-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hello Friends!

I have been a lurker for quite some time now and decided today is the day to jump in. I need to make some decisions about sobriety and I want to do this on my own, but with the help of this forum.

I live in a large town, but it is very small in terms of going to meetings and such, so for now I am choosing to not go that route. If I find that I need that, I will figure out what to - go to a neighboring town, or something, I suppose.

I am a woman in my mid-forties, have one 14 year old daughter, who is wonderful, and am thinking of divorcing my husband of 18 years. While he is a good man in many ways, he has paid very little attention to me for lots of years now, and I am tired of it. Right now we have an in-house separation in place, which is very odd, but it at least gives me some freedom.

There is a history of alcohol abuse in my family, and my first cousin died as a result of alcohol abuse at about the age I am now. I have always been a social drinker, but am now drinking daily, and too many times, not just socially. I live in a very social neighborhood - there's a happy hour somewhere almost every day. All of my friends drink socially, and when we get together, it is almost always over a bottle of wine at one of our homes, or out for happy hour/dinner.

So, it's going to be hard for me - don't get me wrong, they would be very supportive and all, but it's a private journey, I think, for me, - one that I don't know that I want to talk a lot about to them.

I need to be able to think clearly about all of the life changes and challenges I am facing, and having a hangover or being buzzed is not working out so well!

I look forward to my time here!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome seethefuture
You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Seethefuture, sorry, my english is not very good.

Quitting alcohol may be difficult, may be hard, but it is very rewarding. I would recommend not to consider it a deprivation, but an opportunity to be free from alcohol. Living sober is a magnificent experience, it is the most important and positive change I have ever made.

Take care,
Old 09-15-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I agree completely that recovery is a private journey and something that you need to do for yourself, in your own way.

I'm glad you decided to post and I hope you will keep reading and posting.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi seethefuture - glad you decided to join us!

One of the first things I noticed about getting sober was that I was a lot calmer and more positive about everything. Sounds like you're making a new beginning for yourself and getting sober can only make things even better.

Take it a day at a time and keep reading/posting.....
Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome See! This place has been a great source of strength for me, so hopefully it can be for you too.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome. I face my first challenge tomorrow as I will be going to a concert with a group of gals and then we're having a slumber party at a hotel in Denver. I have already told my friend that I am on the wagon so she knows. I am one of those "in the moment" people, though, so not drinking will be hard but I am ready to do it!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome seethefuture!

What a wonderful place you've found. Sounds like where I live. I'm in a town of 2000 people, and I cannot attend AA there. Too much gossip and that is just not for me. If I feel the need for AA, I will do as you mentioned, go to another town.

We all have a common journey, but many of us do it in different ways. You have to find the way that works for you, which is to repeat what Anna said. "Recovery is a private journey".

You are on the right path. Sobriety will give you a clear set of eyes to look through. It has it's bumps at times, but when you learn to swerve at those bumps, you keep getting stronger.

And don't listen to Mariano - his English is super!!!!

You will find "family" here and many people that can relate and tell you their experiences. So many of us have so much in common when it comes to this part of our lives. Sometimes just letting others know about what lead us to this point is very liberating.

The first step you take is a big one, but just keep taking more steps. Post when you're happy, post when you're sad, there will always be somebody here to pick you up!