Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 09-04-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Admitting i have a problem has been a long time coming, but if i don't do anything now i can see my drinking spiralling out of control.

I'm a stay-at-home Mom to two beautiful boys and have so much to be thankful for. A beautiful home, great kids, my husband is fun and is a great provider. I am proud to have kicked the smoking habit over two years ago, but now i must stop the beer habit.

It's been all coming to a head these last few months. Drinking beer almost daily, beginning earlier each day. I really don't know why i drink-i'm happy, but i suppose i drink to make myself happier? That sounds so lame. Anyway, it's getting to the point where i'm starting to black out. Fortunately, this has been happening at home where i am safe. But to function-walk, talk and have conversations and not remember it the next day really scares me.

I'm tired of waking up too hungover to be the best mom to my kids. I'm tired of that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach replaying in my mind what i did or said-was i an idiot? Did anyone notice i how intoxicated i was?

I've made decisions to stop drinking for certain periods of time and i have never met these goals-i think nearly two week i stopped, but i realize now i have to stop for good, forever.

Thanks for reading and i enjoy getting to know everyone
Old 09-04-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Amy!
I have been there, too. Mine got to the point where I would write down conversations at night while I was drunk and the next morning I would read the notes to try and remember what had been said. Scary stuff!
I am a mom too and I hear you on functioning with the kids the morning after! The people here are wonderful and I have come across other moms in similar situations. I am 16 days sober largely because I posted here when I wanted to drink, and people were VERY supportive! Well wishes!

Carla
Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Amylynn -

Lots of us moms here......

I thought drinking was my reward for "doing everything"..... Being a mom is tough job - everyone wants a piece of us. It was a relief at first to take a mental vacation on alcohol, but the days got harder and harder to get through. Just getting up and driving the kids to school was a monumental task.

You're not alone and yes, you can do this. Keep reading and posting!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amy

I was a home drinker too - I worked from home - and every day I'd find my drinking started earlier and earlier...and every night became a blur.

I'm glad you're here to tackle the problem now - you'll find a lot of support here and a lot of folks who understand

Welcome

D
Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Hi Amy! Glad you are here. I used to blackout from drinking also. It can be very scary not remembering what you've done.

You won't have to do this alone. Welcome to SR!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I agree that blackouts are very scary, and I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I'm excited to be here. To reach out for help is hard, but i know it will make the journey easier!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello Amylynn! Congratuations for opening up about your problem. I was so shy about posting here, but it's the best thing I ever did for myself. I was reassured that I could give up my terrible habit and be happy and healthy once again. I don't know why I thought I needed it to live - like you, I had a nice life and people counting on me.

It's a great feeling to be free of the burden of daily drinking. It was destroying me, yet I couldn't let go. Here is where you can turn everything around. We're very glad you joined us.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
PBG

Hi Amy - I am, working on 'was', a heavy beer drinker. I too pretty much only drank at home, and it started innocently, then grew & grew (started to "have a beer" first thing in the a.m.). When I realized I was starting to drink in the a.m. & drinking overall about 6 a day, I decided to stop completely, not just "cut back", esp. since it started affecting my health (a beer is pretty much the same as a shot of whiskey). This was about 2 weeks ago. I'm glad to see others here on a similar mission.

I work from home & was also a homemaker before going back to work, so it was easy for me to be tempted. With me it kind of started as a good sleep remedy (I've had insomnia for years), but as it progressed, I was reaching for a beer to "celebrate the day", then, "as a reward for doing this or that", then, also in times of stress. So, basically, next thing I knew, everything & every mood was an excuse to grab a beer! I decided recently I just want to get rid of the habit once & for all...already I feel a lot better, & am realizing how much I was actually missing when I had my beer buzz...