Notices

Will anxiety haunt me my entire life?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will anxiety haunt me my entire life?

Over a year ago I found out I was loosing my job. I have a wife and two kids so I was worried about out family. The feeling of anxiety was overwhelming! It is the first time in my life I've ever felt like that. It has such a tight grip on me, 24/7. It was terrible.

I just got diagnosed with diverticulitis. It's a condition where you've developed small out-pockets in your intestines. If one of them get infected i can be trouble. Most people recover with a round of antibiotics. I got antibiotics and got better, but then got worse. They switched my antibiotics and I did "ok", but then got even worse and was admitted to the hospital. In the hospital they told me if I didn't get better this time they would have to operate. Operating means cutting out a section of my colon. HELLO ANXIETY! Every morning I could feel the anxiety surge though me as I wrestled with thought about what might happen

I made it out of the hospital for a week and have been on oral antibiotics. Over all I'm doing better, but every couple of days I feel like I have the flu and get worse, only to improve the next day. Today I feel like crap. I've been battling this for a month and lost 20 lbs (weight I can't afford to loose). I can hardly eat anything. I still have some pain in my lower left side (where the infection was) which tells me I'm not fully healed. I have one more day on antibiotics and then I'm done. The doc doesn't want to renew the antibiotics, which means if its not fully healed it could likely get infected again and I'd go under the knife.

I'm sick of feeling like this. I feel like crap. I worry I won't get better. I worry that I might need surgery, and I won't be in the best of shape for it. I will be underweight with malnutrition because all I've been able to eat on a good day is bread, rice, and maybe some eggs. On a bad day it's just clear liquids, so no nutrition at all. Also, if they do surgery I'll have an active infection. If it didn't heal up before, how well will it heal up after they do major surgery.

I hate the anxiety. I thought I was through with this. Will it haunt me the rest of my life? Will it drown me every time there is a crisis in my life?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Anxiety is a treatable illness that does not necessarily follow one through life. Sometimes it is only mild and needs no treatment. Sometimes a bit of therapy clears it up. Sometimes one needs medications to treat it. Sometimes it is acute and related just to a situation. Sometimes it is chronic. Only a qualified mental health professional would be in a position to diagnose the type and severity of your anxiety.

I encourage you to seek help with a mental health provider.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wonder if you've been correctly diagnosed? Some conditions, like Crohn's Disease, can be difficult to diagnose. Did you have a colonoscopy with biopsies taken to rule out CD in the colon? (Crohn's Disease occurs in the small intestine, too, but an upper GI would be needed for that.)

In the meantime, work with professionals can specifically help you manage anxiety. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What you described sounds like something where anxiety is normal. It's common to have anxiety when facing possible surgery. Many people do. If there are things you can do to ease your mind with your health issue, that may do wonders for your anxiety. Maybe do your own research and find positive options that may still be on the table. Or seek a second opinion.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Quit worrying. You'll be fine! Treated diverticulitis is rarely EVER fatal. The flu is more likely to kill you. Just stay on top of things and you'll be fine.

Are you actively using drugs or alcohol? That wouldn't help anything.

The following is not medical advice it is medical fact. Diverticulitis can cause an obstruction in the digestive tract which could explain rapid weight loss, resulting from the body's inability to ingest crucial calories. As well, it can result (rarely!) in a fistula, where the affected area of intestine can attach abnormally to an organ like the kidneys. Read about these complications and be aware of the side effects. If you suspect you have any of these complications contact your healthcare provider immediately.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quit Worrying?

Quit Worrying? How does one do that? I know in my head that I am supposed "Consider the Lilies of the Field"(Matt. 6). Let go and Let God! When one wakes up in the morning feeling scared to death with spinning thoughts and has to take a Xanax to even start the day, how do you let go?! I choose to Trust God Everyday. I start each morning releasing the day for Him to have his way. Somedays I am able to feel His grace and peace calm me. I am talking my meds. Have lost my insurance after becoming unemployed after winning a law suit against my employer because I was injured on their property. I paid $630 Cobra and now that it has run out, I find out I can not convert to a private policy in MN because UHC doesn't allow private in MN. I went to Healthpartners only to be denied because of pharmaceuticals I use and other reasons.

Since 1996, I private paid insurance, went back to school, got my degree. Got a job and joined their healthplan. Was told I could not go back to work with my restrictions. Now, I have no insurance.

Step #1 My life has become unmanageable.