Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

August 17 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

August 17 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

We sometimes forget what a painful experience it was to come to our first Al-Anon meeting. Remember the whirling thoughts, the fears, the uncertainty? Uneasy questions came crowding into our minds: “Is it the right thing to do?” – “What will he say if he finds out?” – “Am I disgracing my family by admitting that husband and father drinks too much?” – “What if somebody tells I was there?”

Then we were reassured to discover that Al0Anon has a protective cloak of anonymity for us. Every member understands that no word of the proceedings must ever go beyond the meeting room, and especially that no names should ever be mentioned.

TODAY’S REMINDER

The newcomer to Al-Anon immediately feels comforted and safe when she learns that she can talk freely without fear of having anything repeated. We owe her this assurance. We are committed to it by our own Traditions, as well as by our personal need for protection against careless gossip.

I will remind myself daily that I must guard against revealing anything concerning Al-Anon or an AA member.

“Tradition Twelve: Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our Traditions, ever reminding us to place principles above personalities.”
Old 08-17-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nothing like a good chocolate candy bar in one hand, reading your post everyday!!

THANK YOU!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't got to Al Anon yet (the nearest one is some distance from me) but it is something of a milestone to join this forum. I have accomodated my partners binge drinking for many years, but that stance has changed. It was always my doing-upsetting her, then back to normal, then off it again.
We have a small gallery where she works afternoons-sometimes gone-how's that for dealing with customers. Time and again I have let her back to work here, had she been employed other than with family-would have been sacked ages ago.