My husband wants to leave rehab already?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My husband wants to leave rehab already?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this website and I am also new to anything about addiction or at the very least new to trying to help someone I Love deal with their addiction.

Anyways, last Friday I dropped my husband off at his first rehab center which he was supposed to be there for 30 days. Now today 4 days later I get a voice-mail from him saying that he finished detox but wants to transfer to an outpatient facility closer to home that is more geared towards gay men. He said he feels very uncomfortable around the others in his treatment group and he had a "major freak-out about it today"

I intend to call his counselor tomorrow who i haven't even spoken to yet since he just started about this but I am not sure what I should do. i really wanted him to stay in the inpatient until they felt he was ready and then go to this Intensive Outpatient that is up the street from where we live.

I want to be supportive but I also don't want to continue to enable him either, its difficult to tell sometimes which is which when your in the middle of things.

Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was pretty shocked when my AH called after only 6 days with the same story. I told him I wanted verification that the Dr was Okay with this and he had a nurse call me. I still don't think he was there long enough. I believe he missed a lot of counseling that would have been helpful without all of the pressures of the real world.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hm that is a tough one. It was pretty clear between my AGF and I that if the call came from her asking to be picked up b/c she left treatment early, she would need to find another place to live. She is in treatment that isn't gay-oriented but it hasn't been any big deal thus far, for her or I.

I am thinkin this might be an attempt to gain your permission to leave rehab. Its probably scary for him to be in there after detox, wanting to drink and not being able to. At the very least I'd speak to the counselor.