Notices

today's the day?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy today's the day?

Hi, I am new to the site. I need help learning how to quit drinking. I had gastric bypass 2 years ago and was never a big drinker before but in the last 8 months I have been drinking vodka daily to deal with my anxiety and panic attacks. After my surgery alcohol hits me way faster and differently. Im spinning out of control. My family is suffering, Im suffering. Im not a group person so I havent felt confortable in AA groups but doing what Im doing isn't working. Any advise?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi outacontrol and welcome to SR!

I'm glad to see you've decided to give up the drink. You've come to the right place.

I myself am AA recovered and am forever grateful to that program. I am encouraged that there are many options available to us today and am extremely grateful for this website. We didn't have such sites available at the time that I got sober.

I hope you read a bit on the forums and others will soon respond about their journey to sobriety. There are several links for other methods of recovery, like SMART, but I don't know how to create those links here for you.

I'm sober, but "technology-challenged".

Again, welcome!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well being here is just as effective as any other way to recover from active addiction. At least that has been my experience.
Keep posting, reading and replying here at SR.

Know that you personally can overcome your addiction.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Keep up the positive attitude. I am 90plus days and really loving my new life !!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outacontrol View Post
Hi, I am new to the site. I need help learning how to quit drinking. I had gastric bypass 2 years ago and was never a big drinker before but in the last 8 months I have been drinking vodka daily to deal with my anxiety and panic attacks. After my surgery alcohol hits me way faster and differently. Im spinning out of control. My family is suffering, Im suffering. Im not a group person so I havent felt confortable in AA groups but doing what Im doing isn't working. Any advise?
Using alcohol to control panic attacks and anxiety is a real double edged sword. This is one way people become alcoholics, just the same as some who started drinking as a cure for insomnia. Also the same for people who drank as a remedy for shyness. Or as pain management. e.t.c... Alcohol ends up giving you the exact opposite of your intended result, if you have a propensity towards alcoholism and enough exposure.

It's brilliant that you can see this for what it is.

I only recently (last year) discovered AA, and only because I reached an absolute bottom with nowhere else to turn. Believe me when I say I'm the last person who you'd expect to find at a meeting. I am the most reclusive person you'd ever meet, and shy to a fault. Yes I played live music, but only ever enjoyed the "performing" part of music while being off-my-face drunk. So you can take from that the how and why I started drinking career.

The initial hurdle and apprehension of getting to that first meeting melts away. As soon as you arrive you can actually feel the comfort that exists from hanging out with like-minded folks, people who have the same exact problems you have. My first meeting almost brought me to tears to be honest, just because I knew I had stumbled and found a home after years of thinking none existed.

Give it a try would be my advice. If you're not ready for face to face, find an online meeting via Skype. That's what I did. Keep posting and hanging out with us in the meantime and during because this forum is also brilliant. You truly will be surprised at what a singular, initial leap into the unknown can mean to you, when you're leaping to seek out help. It's often times nothing short of amazing.

BTW, welcome!!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Turning to alcohol after gastric bypass is actually very common and very sad I've only been on this site since yesterday and find it extremely supportive, you have come to a wonderful place!!!

I'm only 3 weeks sober, and I'm not an AAer either, it's just not for me. But I have a very strong desire to not drink and I feel wonderful as of late. Getting off the booze is tough physically for the first week or two, but jump that hurdle and you'll be on your way.

I hope you continue to post here, because if you want to get sober, you can definitely do it
Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OUTACONTROL - yes today is the day! IF you choose it to be.

Originally Posted by binderdonedat View Post
It's brilliant that you can see this for what it is.
Yes! You are on a good path to dealing with this.

I only recently (last year) discovered AA, and only because I reached an absolute bottom with nowhere else to turn.
I actually called a lot of places/programs. I just didn't have an extra $30,000 kicking around (surprise! surprise!). This was only ONE reason, I tried AA (even though I knew (at the time) it wasn't for me)).

The initial hurdle and apprehension of getting to that first meeting melts away. As soon as you arrive you can actually feel the comfort that exists from hanging out with like-minded folks, people who have the same exact problems you have. My first meeting almost brought me to tears to be honest, just because I knew I had stumbled and found a home after years of thinking none existed.
If I read this 4 weeks ago (I am 23 days sober - amazingly!!) - I would have thought this sounds all cute and cozy - 'whatever'. However . . . it's so freaking true - it's unbelievable when you first walk in. I'm still wondering how all those people 'knew' how I drank.

Keep posting and hanging out with us in the meantime and during because this forum is also brilliant. You truly will be surprised at what a singular, initial leap into the unknown can mean to you, when you're leaping to seek out help. It's often times nothing short of amazing.
YES! YES! YES!

What a great post BINDERONEDAT. The only thing I'd add is that I felt very apprehensive about AA - as in, "OMG, what if someone finds out I went to a meeting??" Well, at this point, I'd MUCH rather be 'outed' for going to AA than remain a closeted alcoholic . . . by far! And the second A really is for Ananymous.

All the best to you. PLease keep us posted.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

None of my aa friends liked the thought of aa, in the beginning, either!

Today, we are glad to save our lives together.

AA has aa online chatroom and there are speakers online to listen to.

Welcome!!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I ended up using alcohol and drugs for panic attacks and social anxiety disorder. Meds and a good doc can help some - but it didn't solve my problem. BUT - what I did do was use the meds to get through AA meetings. I couldn't do it otherwise. I had to search to find the right meetings. Then, I found a couple I liked...then I approached a sponsor...then - my life changed. I tapered down the meds. You won't believe this, but I found the anxiety just going away after I got to steps 6 & 7! I didn't TRY to make it go away - it just wasn't in my mind anymore! I had accessed a Higher Power, which I thought was total BS. Others had been telling me the steps would help with panic/anxiety, but the disorder itself told me it wouldn't! I had to ACT AGAINST MY INSTINCTS. Surrendering felt great. Then, the power flows in. Taking the leap is the toughest part. The key is when you get out of yourself, out of your own head, and begin to trust and be of service to others - wow! It's there for all of us.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love this saying about how we all felt "terminally unique" before AA busted those walls down:
"I thought I was the black sheep - until I found the rest of my herd."
Old 08-17-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

twilli, Bill W. also did not believe in a higher power until he experienced it. Then he helped Dr. Bob. Then they "tried" what they did to help others. AA had begun. Another group had done it 100 years before AA, but they folded....the Traditions & Concepts were developed so AA didn't self destruct and we can be here for the next suffering person...
Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You say you haven't been comfortable in AA groups. Does this mean that you've tried AA, or are you just imaging what you think it will be like. There is a difference.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome outacontrol - A lot of us find that when we stop drinking, the anxiety and depression goes down drastically. Others may need additional help, like anti-depressants. In any case, there is help out there; alcohol isn't the way to go and only makes things worse.

If you think you may have withdrawal symptoms, it's best to talk to a doctor. I found that it helped just to take it one day at a time and get lots of support. If we can do it, you can too!:ghug3
Old 08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's the link to the different programs.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I posted to you outacontrol but obv not LOL

I agree with the others here on anxiety - self medicating with alcohol is like fuelling a fire with gasoline...have you seen a Dr about your anxiety and panic attacks?

I also agree with everyone on the importance of support - whether you find it here or in counselling, in AA or some other recovery group, I think support makes a difficult thing a little easier - you're not alone here

D
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have gone to a few meetings and groups at Kaiser but my panic disorder and anxiety makes me feel really uncomfortable.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I thought I posted to you outacontrol but obv not LOL

I agree with the others here on anxiety - self medicating with alcohol is like fuelling a fire with gasoline...have you seen a Dr about your anxiety and panic attacks?

I also agree with everyone on the importance of support - whether you find it here or in counselling, in AA or some other recovery group, I think support makes a difficult thing a little easier - you're not alone here

D
Hey Dee
I have been seeing a DR. for the Anxiety and panic for a long time. I have been switched around on my medications several times. Currently I take Klonipin for the panic attacks and Zoloft for the anxiety. I know I should not drink when I take this medications so Its a really big deal to me that I stop. I have been trying to get into seeing a regular Psych on a one on one basis but every time I have an appointment set Kaiser calls and cancels it for various different reasons and bumps me out several weeks even with my protests. They say they are over whelmed with people needing help. I can't check my self into a rehab program because I need to work and feed my family.