Notices

Where to start??

Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to start??

Hi, I'm new to the site. I started drinking in high school ever so often, maybe a couple of beers one night on the weekend every other week or so...probably not even that often. College came and was full of the weekend binges. I am now 30, and my drinking has increased tremendously and I know it has got to stop NOW. I am currently up to almost two 750mL bottles of wine, and a little bit of liquor, on a nightly basis. I tell myself every night when I get home from work that today is going to be different, but it never is. I'm in a weird housing situation right now, living with a relative who always has wine and liquor at the ready, but I am in no way blaming them for my lack of self control. I know I need help, but I am not in a position to detox in rehab. My insides hurt. I have got to stop. The guilt has become overwhelming and I know the simple solution is to stop drinking. I am taking anxiety meds because hangovers were making me a nervous wreck. I just want it all to end so I can have my life back. Where do I start? How do I get sober on my own?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. It's great that you decided to quit drinking for your health and well-being. It is simple but not often easy but always worth it. Since rehab detox is out I strongly recomend that you contact your doctor for advice and assistance. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions regarding sobriety and recovery on this site. Support, both through SR and through programs and people is also helpful. Thanks for joining us and be sure to read and post.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I know it seems overwhelming at the moment, but you can do it.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you detox from alcohol, because it can be dangerous.

And, you can start by not drinking today. Shake up your daily routine. Make yourself do something else at the time of the day when you would have been drinking. If there is alcohol in the house, can you go out in the evenings or can you stay in your room so you are not faced with it? Do whatever you can to get through the day.

There is lots of support here at SR.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Loula:
Welcome! I have several suggestions. First, you say that you're on meds. Have you been entirely open with your doctor and told him/her all that has been happening? Don't be afraid to do this. If your doctor has been properly trained he or she can be a big help to you. Secondly, you say you would like to do this on your own. That's possible but you have a far better chance of a good recovery if you have help from other recovering alcoholics, like on this website for example,and also at groups such as AA or alternate recovery groups if you'd rather not do AA at this point. Group support should make you feel a lot better right away.
Getting well and keeping well is a long process but very soon you should be feeling a lot happier and better about yourself. It's an upward path and gets a little less steep as time goes on. It's good and it's certainly wise if you have company on that journey. A pilgrimage to a better life. A journey towards your real self.
Good luck-and keep in touch with all these fine folks on this website. You will find us the best of friends!

W.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Loula! You'll find plenty of company here - people going through exactly what you are. I didn't have anyone in my life who understood, so I really leaned on this place.

It's great you've recognized that your drinking habits aren't normal. Some wait until their lives are spinning out of control. I'm glad you're determined to get your life back. Reading & sharing on SR is a good way to calm your anxiety. Let us know how you're doing!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LouLa

Some great suggestion here already - I encourage you to keep reading and posting - you'll find a lot of ideas and support here

I also think seeing a DR is a great suggestion for anyone quitting - detox can be rough for some of us.

D
Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was drinking wine, roughly nearly 2 bottles a night, for a few months I found the effects really disturbing, I started to loose my short term memory, frightened the hell out of me not to mention the lack of control.

I am pleased to say being only sober for more than 3 months, I can focus again, read maps, follow directions, this is personal but I will share, for the first time since I stopped drinking, I can disentagle mosquito coils without breaking them. Because I now have more patience than I can remember ever having thanks to AA, its members and my higher power.
Good luck and best wishes on the journey that you have started.
CaiHong
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

I wish you the best in your efforts to achieve long term sobriety.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, ALL for your responses. It is comforting to know that people care, or at the very least care to chime in. I sat on the sidelines for far too long. I have read these forums for years. To participate in others' recovery, crap even respond to a forum, is a good first step. Many shoulders to cry on here, but I don't want the tears. I want the strength! Thank you ALL for the strength! To know that others have gone through, and the hurdles that have been jumped...we are in this together. Let's do this!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LouLa View Post
Thank you, ALL for your responses. It is comforting to know that people care, or at the very least care to chime in. I sat on the sidelines for far too long. I have read these forums for years. To participate in others' recovery, crap even respond to a forum, is a good first step. Many shoulders to cry on here, but I don't want the tears. I want the strength! Thank you ALL for the strength! To know that others have gone through, and the hurdles that have been jumped...we are in this together. Let's do this!
Absolutely! I love your enthusiasm and I'm glad that you are posting now instead of sitting on the sidelines.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There's lots of good support around here.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by LouLa View Post
I have got to stop. The guilt has become overwhelming and I know the simple solution is to stop drinking. I am taking anxiety meds because hangovers were making me a nervous wreck. I just want it all to end so I can have my life back. Where do I start? How do I get sober on my own?
You should certainly make a plan for safe detox, and your doctor can usually prescribe an outpatient regimen, but I quit on my own using the method of Rational Recovery, called Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

You can do this! Please tell doctor amount you are drinking. Pills & booze don't mix well.