Notices

Friday Blues

Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday Blues

I am so close to drinking. I want it so bad... this is my first big craving since tuesday I'm popping a movie in to distract. So anxious...
Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

killingtime - I feel the same!!! it was so hard today - i hope you are still watching the movie - im home watching tv
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its your mind rebelling against sobriety. Its been fed alcohol so long it thinks it can't live without it, but it can and needs to. Acknowlege the thought but don't get sucked in by it. Watch your movie, call someone for support, go to a meeting, read and post on SR, take a walk, take a shower, whatever, just don't take a drink. The brain needs to learn that booze isn't oxygen, it can survive without it. The brain will reprogram, you need to give it time. If you really want sobriety fight for it like your life depends on it. It does. You can do this.
Never doubt yourself when committed to your path. Stay the course killingtime & bennyboard. My very best to you.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks to all of you. I am suffering too. I haven't had a Friday night this time around and its worse than all previous Fridays I've had before. Maybe because it's a full moon? I went to a meeting, and now should just close my eyes and sleep. I want a drink so bad that I have a headache!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Posting here is a good idea to keep your mind on your desire to stop drinking and not giving in to those urges. When I want to shut my mind off with entertainment I like to watch the Netflix instant streaming thingy. TV shows that I never watched when they aired are there and one can watch episodes without the dreaded commercials. Pretty cool beans. Keep us tuned in on how your night is going, k?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I think the addiction recognizes that it is being challenged.

It will get easier.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

KillingTime - I remember that feeling so well. You're doing the right thing by finding a distraction, like a movie or coming here. Something to focus on besides how miserable & anxious you're feeling.

I want to assure you all that these cravings do subside & it's gets so much easier as you go along. Maybe you're tired of hearing that - but please take it from this life long drinker who was downing 100 proof vodka in the end. Some people find it all rainbows & unicorns when they first quit - I sure didn't. I thought there was something wrong with me, but by talking to others on SR I found out most people have a rough go of it in the beginning. After all, we are learning to live again in a whole new way. We've convinced ourselves we need a crutch to lean on, and it's just not true.

Think how great you'll feel getting through the weekend without giving in to the cravings. Each time you face one of these hurdles, you grow stronger. Please give yourself chance to get past this anxiety. I know you can do this.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

The moon appears full...it makes for higher tides in the ocean & I once read that it affects the water in humans. Most of our body consists of water. Just a thought.

I finished cleaning, got ready for my Friday night ride to a big book-12 step speaker meeting, had a dcadent chocolate dessert with 4 others, then meeting...now relaxing on SR.

Much better than isolating with a bunch of cans and a stash of weed...

Happy Sobriety! We were SOBER tonight!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I ate a yummy bowl of ice cream and my bf is coming over soon. We will watch tv and work out. Thanks so much guys.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Speaking of the blues........
Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I got cravings today too, first bad ones I had in a while. I went to the store and got myself a frozen snickers ice cream bar instead.

Hold strong everyone! The desire to drink is a passing emotion, not something that has to overtake us!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by KillingTime View Post
I ate a yummy bowl of ice cream and my bf is coming over soon. We will watch tv and work out. Thanks so much guys.
LOL, I posted and then I saw this! Great minds think alike. You made the right decision.m
Old 08-13-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Made it through the void! I can't remember when I've struggled with a weekend like that before. Went to a meeting, it was okay, but didn't quell my cravings or my headache. Came home, read, posted and crashed. Today is 100% better already. Glad I didn't drink.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I made it through! I may have cried and bitten my nails down to the nub but I did not take a drink!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KillingTime View Post
I made it through! I may have cried and bitten my nails down to the nub but I did not take a drink!
you would've cried and bitten your nails even more if you did take that drink. (but really, it's a pretty small price to pay for sobriety)... and i am sure you feel a little stronger and better for having done the right thing.
well done!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great job guys. Glad to see you made it through ok. Isn't it great we have a place to come for support when we need it?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go killingtime!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So proud of you - no one understands what we go through. Glad you came here to talk it out. You're going to do this.