Notices

the foulest of moods

Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the foulest of moods

I woke up this morning in foul, foul mood. I can't figure out why. I start my new job tomorrow and am very happy about that. My health is good. Things are looking up for me. I tried to change it. I can generally change my disposition by thinking positive. I said a prayer of thanks, I went over my greatful list. Nothing. I suppose the moods change a lot in the beginning of sobriety. I don't like being so nasty. I was going to go to my AA meeting this morning and bring fruit for breakfast but quite honestly, I don't want to be a sour puss and bring anyone down and I really do not feel like putting on a happy face. I could just bite nails right now. I guess I will go get my oil changed in my car, color my hair and sit home and read all day. Stay away from everyone. I'm not digging this one bit.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better.

It might be helpful to remember that your mood is not you. It's just feelings, and you're doing the right thing by focusing on gratitude and trying to be positive.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Who can you talk to? AA is where I go, no matter the mood, and that is where I can share what I am going through with those who understand. Sponsor is where I start, but if she isn't available, a group of drunks works well for me!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've found that the meeting you don't want to go to is the meeting you better drag your tail to. You'll be grateful you did. And if you can't go for yourself, go for the fruit eaters.

The first few months of sobriety are the hardest thing anyone can go through. and not to get you down, but with only 10 months of sobriety, I take heart when old timers say the first five years is the toughest.

But it's a trip, and a lot better than the one we were on before.

When I get the way you describe, I do my best to get out of my own head and do something for someone else. It works every time
Old 08-07-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just can't. I truly do not want to be around anyone today. I don't even want to answer the phone.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What Memphis says... Seriously!!!

Please go. This is your -ism speaking to you... This is part of early recovery. Being accountable, if only to yourself! Doing things you don't want to do even though you should.

Perhaps find a service commitment so you become more motivated (accountable )

I love my Sunday meeting... I did not always want to go at first. Now nothing keeps me away.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

When my gut gives me that feeling, the one that says can't, don't wanna, is my sign to act....memphis said it, go to a meeting and help another. I felt like that yesterday, went to 3 meetings shared, and when this guy told of his problems, (stage 4 cancer), suddenly mine were trivial, but the sharing &listening helped!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good morning, I have only 7 days , going to the meetings for sure has contributed but more than that has been the calling of these women. At least two a day and for two days they have called me. I live alone with my dogs and have felt poopy a few days. Tearful for half of one of those days but to hear that it gets better , that I am not alone with these feelings , not the only one helps me , well another day sober for me.
Its true , I have done what I wanted and it got me the real poopies, today they are nothing like they were and it seems a waste of time really to allow them to take to much of my day. There is a solution.
May god bless us all.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lpnangel, I find that physical exercise really helps me when I'm feeling fussy. It really helped ALOT very early on in my recovery.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Meetings and a good sweat session usually perks me up.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Can't be worse than how you used to feel but with a hangover too. I was pretty grumpy and tired hungover no matter what. At least you are grumpy and not from alcohol. Just a down day for now. If there's no changing it, just ride it out. There was no magic hangover cure but we still actively caused that fowl mood over and over and rode it out. Hang in there.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You should be able to go to an AA meeting without having to put on a 'happy face' if that's not the way you feel. After all, the meetings are about mutual support, it works both ways. That's one of the programs great strengths.

Don't judge yourself too harshly for having a bad day, recovery is quite a big healing process, can tap layers we didn't know we had. My moods were all over the place for awhile, it began to even out with the help and support I had.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better now lpn

D
Old 08-07-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Been there!!! I UNDERSTAND!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hope you are having a better day...and know that you will have a great day tomorrow on your first day of your new job. Glad you are here at SR.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of your replies. I made it through the day and night without biting any ones head off. After I got my oil changed, I literally sat on the couch and immersed myself into my book until 930 last night. Sometimes I need the an escape from stress, pain, and term-oil still lingering in my life. Alcohol is not the answer. Orientation for my new job starts at 8am this morning. It is imperative that I get going and get finances in order so I can get out of my current living arrangements. I started my day with thanks. Thank you all too. Your kind words lift me up more than you know. Have a blessed day