Notices

Scared.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared.

today is my first day sober. I am terrified. I have been covering up every true feeling I have felt since I was 15. Six years stoned, drunk, spun out, gone. I need help. I don't know how to go about this besides going to meetings, being honest, and not using, one day at a time. If anyone has pointers, or wants to talk, please let me know. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've got some good starting points. So many of us identify with fear, scared of getting sober. I was but then I thought, what was I really afraid of, not ever drinking again, managing my dis-ease? All my fears of a sober future were just figments. There is no future to fear, only now to be realized. My fears, like they usually are, are so far from the reality I find myself in now. Your first day sober is the only starting place there is. Welcome and thanks for joining us.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi UpWithHope

I think it's normal to be terrified - it can be a massive change of life...
but you're among friends here - stick around, post, read - we understand

Welcome to SR
D
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

If you have access to a face to face support group, where you can meet people who know what you are going through and get some phone numbers, that would be great. It was a huge asset to me in my early recovery. I don't know how I would have hung in there as confused and tense as I was.

Keep posting here, talking in the chat room, reading, reading, reading.

Hang in there, we need YOU here to help us with our recovery too.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

I would say the majority of us have been through that period of utter terror in early sobriety. It can feel overwhelming right now but it will get better. Keep going to meetings, get a sponsor, talk to other recovering alcoholics, work the Steps, etc... From your post I gather that you are working the program of AA. If I am wrong I do apologize. If you are not working a program of recovery I encourage you to do so as you will find a lot of support and understanding in these groups. There are many different ones to choose from besides AA. Here is a list of many of them: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html Personally AA is the one that has worked for me.

Take care and hang in there. You can get through this.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, your feelings are normal and know that we are all here to offer support. We're all on the same journey, maybe at different places, but we're all finding our way.

One thing that really helped me was to know that feelings are just feelings. They don't control me. I can feel them and let them go and still maintain my peace.