July 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

July 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

July 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

The newcomer to Al-Anon usually feels alone in a hostile world, drowning in a sea of troubles. To be sure, some may have been of her own making, but all of us had much to learn about living with an alcoholic before we could begin to create a serene and orderly world within us.

Let us not be too eager to swamp this confused person with advice. A warm welcome and words of hope and reassurance will be all the therapy she can use at first. One member, too, should offer a protecting wing and a willing ear to her troubles if she cares to talk about them after the meeting.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Each of us should take thought for the newcomer. Her coming to Al-Anon can enrich our lives, as well as helping her. She brings us an opportunity to introduce her to the healing help of the al-Anon program We profit by such giving; as we share with her what we have learned, our own thoughts are clarified by new insights. It also helps us to realize how much insight we have gained since we were beginners in the fellowship.

“I pray to be guided in my efforts to help a newcomer. Let me be selective in my sharing of experience, strength and hope, to make sure his or her needs are met.”