people that give them the alcohol :(

Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tka

people that give them the alcohol :(

a little birdie told me today that people around the neighborhood and on the block have been giving my alcoholic father beer and booze and while he is outside with his junk sale he's making new friends that give him the booze.

not sure how true it is; my dad does keep mentioning some neighbors are going to buy the house but I thought he could just be saying that to scare me. he also always has the big cans of beers and I looked in his car the other day and saw 2 big vodka bottles... I couldn't figure out what he could of sold to have enough to buy it, but it would make sense if people gave it to him.

right now I'm pretty mad with disbelief that people would feed the monster. My first thought was to stay cool and maybe they don't know the personal damage his family is suffering because of him being drunk all day and every day. then I started thinking; it would make sense for people to try and get him drunk where maybe they could talk him into selling the house dirt cheap or take advantage of him with things.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid....but honestly, if I find out it was the case of people taking advantage of him and his family I think I would lose so much trust in people in general... I really hope people aren't that heartless
Old 07-23-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I hope that is not the case also, for your sake and his. Is there anyway you can distance yourself from him during this time? Stay somewhere else for a few days or move out altogether?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some give seniors anything they want simply because they're seniors. But many also take advantage of seniors which is just as big a danger here.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you're going through this...My dad had so-called "friends" who gave him alcohol as soon as he came out of hospital where he's been with cirrhosis...So yes, people can be really heartless. It makes me so mad to see them now, they are all alive and my dad has died a long time ago and they helped him to the cemetery.
I agree that you should distance yourself from the situation if possible, although this can be difficult in many ways.