Notices

Standing in line, 9am

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Standing in line, 9am

at the grocery store. The women in front of me was buying a s**t load of booze--the big bottles of hard stuff. She looked a little pale and shakey. Brought back lots of feelings, scared but mostly sadness. All the times I stood in line to throw my life away and to spend good money doing it. I remember those pale shakey mornings. I'm not planning on being in that line that way again.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How wonderful that we all have a choice.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I totally know what your saying. I use too stand in line at the liquor store with shaky hands. Glad those days are behind me. What you saw is good to see. Helps remind you to keep that out of your life.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember those mornings too Fitz. I wasn't aware of anyone watching me...I had only one thing one my mind! We all know what that was. I'm so happy for you and sad for the lady. I'm staying outta that line too!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember waiting for the store to be able to sell beer in the morning. I don't want to do that ever again.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there was another lady in line buying some dougnuts and crap, she looked at the booze lady then at me and gave me a knowing little smirk. I felt like wiping that smirk right off her smug face. They're still my people and there's always hope for tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL... well, you could have just smirked at her buying the doughnuts. She's eating food that's likely to kill her by contributing to diabetes...

People who judge others, especially in grocery lines, just irk me to no end. I can't tell you how many times people have snidely commented on my fruits/vegs (especially back when I was veg, vegan, and raw vegan) loaded up in my cart. They wrap their negativity in faux praise.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember standing behind a guy at the liquor store who was trying to pay for his liquor with a personal check. The cashier refused him and the guy begged the cashier to please let him use the check. The guy left empty handed and shaking. Very sad.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At one time, I would have been the smirking lady, maybe not smirking but definitely feeling superior. It's so nice to be living life more compassionately.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I imagine if it'd been a case of cola the check would have been no problem. We really gained some reputations. No wonder in public I always felt paranoid. Yea, compassion for myself and others feels much healthier.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I remember about six months ago, there was a lady around forty (my age) who looked like your regular soccer mom, WASTED with a capital W in the grocery store in the middle of the day. It literally broke my heart. She kept leaving her basket in strange places and at one point she knocked an entire display down--I helped her put it back together. She had put several loaves of bread in the bottom of the basket, and all the heavy groceries right on top. Just pulling stuff off the shelves (drunk shopping!).

It was a day I was wanting to drink again. I considered it a sign. I felt so bad for her.
I lost her at some point. I didn't want her to drive and could not find her. I am sure someone else in the store stopped her. I wish I would have done more, but I was paralyzed with my own weakness. I still think about her often and hope she has found her way.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention--she had the obligatory assortment of wine bottles. I did that--don't buy just two or three of the XYZ Chardonnay--buy 10 bottles, each one a different brand, some red, some white, etc. Makes it look like you are just restocking your wine collection, right?!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

oH gosh...this was me as early as last weekend Every day when Id make a beer run Id make sure to buy other stufff I didnt need because I cant stand anyone seeing me buy only beer....I hate when they ask for my id because normally by that point Im shaky and I can never pay with cash because its way too obvious that I am . Ive dreaded those trips every day.I always buy cases of beer hoping that it will last a few days but it never does.I make sure to drive to a different store every day because I worry people will notice me buying beer daily..Its weird because years ago I had no problem running in the liquor store (you can not buy liquor in grocery stores here only ABC stores) and getting a bottle because it was rare and one bottle would last for months...Now ,I have so much shame that I havent walked in a liquor store in over a year...when I do prefer liquor I send my husband (which is rare because even a SMALL amount of liquor now makes me deathly sick and anxious for days..ever since my stint with the alcohol poisoning and seizures).Ive even had to drink a beer before going to the store to help lesson my shakes....(one thing I can HONESTLY say is that is the extent with my drinking and driving...THANK GOD!) This is a sad life and it takes so much out of us....If I could put even half of my focus that I use on drinking on postive things in my life I would be so much happier,more succesful,have ALOT more money and be as close as I truly want to be again with my husband,children and friends
Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great thread Fitz!

Our life was only sad as long as we chose to drink. Our shame lasted just as long. Once we learned to take care "from" ourselves . . . Poof!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I remember waiting for the store to be able to sell beer in the morning. I don't want to do that ever again.
I remember that too, and i remember feeling happy when NY changed the law and you could buy beer 24/7. so stupid.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wanted to cry

I just read this entire thread - and I wanted to cry, thinking of that poor 40-something "typical soccer mom" drunk shopping...I mean, to be so depressed, or whatever her emotion was, to get hammered and then remember "oh, I have to go shopping now, for the family"...like I said, I just wanted to cry.

My dear departed Mother grabbed my hand, once, when I was 18 or 19 and complaining about someone who was mean-spirited at my work, and said "Be nice to them, to everyone...the main reason God put us on this Earth was to be nice to each other." Now, that moment was a moment I will never forget.

My mother was a saint.

Kelly
Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

And God Bless You, WritingFromLife

for being some kind-hearted, to help the drunk lady re-assemble the display she had knocked down, and even taking care to try to make sure that she did not drink and drive.

Enough said.

Kelly.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One More Thing

NO-ONE should sneer at an alcoholic, in a line-up at the grocery or liquore store....ALCOHOLISM IS A CHRONIC BRAIN DISEASE...at least, that's what they taught us at rehab 2 months ago.

Kelly.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Man. How many times I stood in line getting ready to pay for my booze. Hoping like hell nobody would notice my shakes. How shameful. Poor lady. So sad.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I believe in helping any person I can if they need help. I try to never judge people and always be helpful. Sometimes it does not work so well and there are days when I loose patience, but I always try to be of assistance.