Notices

Endorsements?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Endorsements?

Just wondering what you guys think about this one:

Every month when our ASC meeting is held, the groups, sub-committees and members put out flyers of upcoming events and make them available so the area can know what's going on (activities, dances, fund-raisers, anniversaries or conventions).

Last month a flyer wasn't allowed to be shared because it named a facility (along with the address) where a function would be held. It was announced that the flyer was retracted because it violated our 6th Tradition by endorsing an outside enterprise.

Is providing complete directions an endorsement? What do you think?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a tough one. I can see how someone might feel that way.

I have no idea how you get around that though. Having a facility give space for an activity is a gift as far as I'm concerned. With the economy in the tank like it is, finding a cheap or free space is very difficult (my husband has been booking places lately for a military change of command here and wow is all I can say). Have you asked the group conscience for suggestions?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

Some folks get just a little bit too carried away with control. That's what I think.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Having a facility give space for an activity is a gift as far as I'm concerned. With the economy in the tank like it is, finding a cheap or free space is very difficult...
I'm not sure, but I think you're missing my point, Latte. I'm referring to Tradition 6, but accepting gifts or being allowed to use a facility for free are certainly Tradition 7 violations. Tradition 6 says:

"An NA group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the NA name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property or prestige divert us from our primary purpose."

I struggle to see how something like this could be taken as an endorsement:

The New Group Meeting
St. Jacob's Hospital, Room 116
555 Blah Blah Road
Mon & Fri 6:00 - 8:00

Some folks get just a little bit too carried away with control. That's what I think.
I agree. But, specifically, I think some folks misinterpret the spirit and intention of Tradition 6.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL...seriously?

in this case it is a gift!What better way to show NA is welcome? How is listing the title of their building and address saying..."go here for their hospital services?" And it's not the hospital endorsing NA...it simply is NOT an endorsement.

It's an appropriate address and location description.

Indianapolis has a meeting at a ginormous hospital....it lists the group name and time... Name of the Hospital (duh), it's street address and the floor and room number!! How else will they know where it is?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been to meetings at hospitals and treatment facilities. It is a great way to meet newcomers and introduce them to meetings outside of their rehab facility. While NA cannot endorse, an individual member can, and we often do. Many of us were patients at the rehab facility and this is one way to give back to them.

I think they were overzealous too.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Sometimes I'm amazed at how some of us make mountains out of molehills.