Notices

disappointed

Old 07-01-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down disappointed

I went into detox for five days and after the second day (7th day sober), I just drank 2 24oz bottles of beer. I did not get drunk, but I am taking a step backwards. My outpatient program starts on 7/6, but that is a long time before I go. I should go to AA but my anxieties are so bad I do want to leave the house. They proscribed celexa while in Detox, but it is not helping. I have tried Prozac, Zoloft and lexapro. None work. I don't know how to manage my sobriety until 7/6.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

You can manage your sobriety by not drinking anymore and not buying anymore alcohol. If you can't leave the house, you can't buy anymore alcohol, so get rid of what you have. There is lots of support here, and know that you can do this!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

In the early days, I had to make staying sober my #1 job. There are lots of things you can do: get some books on recovery, spend lots of time here (or looking into programs online), clean, start exercising....... If you have anxiety about going to AA, you could call the hotline in your area and talk to someone. Better yet, see if a member can pick you up and go with you to a meeting.

It's not comfortable at first to be sober. But each day (one day at a time) it gets better. Give the Celexa a chance, too - it usually takes a couple weeks for anti-d's to reach the full benefit.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Newlife-

I did what Artsoul just recommended, I went to a bunch of meetings and got commitments but I still had a lot of time on my hands so I read books on recovery (including the big book but there are many others) and CLEANED. I cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned. It was overdue, it wasn't necessarily my idea of 'fun' but it kept me busy and it felt 'good' to see my physical house starting to look nice.

The cleaner it got I just held onto the idea that if I kept taking actions in recovery my house inside of me what also start showing improvements too. That indeed turned out to be the case.

And yea, the anti-depressants take time to build up in your system so give them time and talk to your doc if you have any questions (they are usually happy to return phone calls).

Welcome! You can do this!!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Theres no need to go to meetings, if you cant do that. Recovery is much more that any one singular type of recovery modality.

Being here at SR, sharing, reading and replying will give you a good start in having an addiction recovery plan, SMART has some useful tools that can help.

Consider this as a way out of the suffering addiction can be:
What is CBT
Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
SMART Tools AA Books
SMART RecoveryŽ - Tool Chest and Homework
SMART RecoveryŽ - Articles and Essays
Alcoholics Anonymous : Click on the Book You Would Like to Read
AVRT: The Rational Recovery Technique
AllBusiness.com | Business solutions from AllBusiness.com
Old 07-02-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome! Glad you found us and hope you will keep coming back! This site has answers to so many of your questions and concerns. Give being sober a chance. I know it's very difficult when you have anxiety and depression. The problem with drinking to cope is that these two issues actually get much worse.

Like I said keep coming back here, don't fret about meetings you'll go when you are ready. It's not like they won't be there when you are ready there are too many of us (Alcoholics!).