Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Anxiety Disorders
Reload this Page >

Anybody w/ long term use of benzos for work/social situations? Anxiety only @ work?

Notices

Anybody w/ long term use of benzos for work/social situations? Anxiety only @ work?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody w/ long term use of benzos for work/social situations?

I've read a lot of diff't things regarding benzos. I currently take them as needed, but in small dosages ranging from .25-.50MG. I would say my average intake to be about 2-3x a week, sometimes I would go a week or 2 w/o taking any medication.

I find them to be really helpful during meetings, presentations at work. I think that the only time I can ever stay clean for a greater period of time is if I was unemployed.

I was hoping to hear other people's experience.

For me, the moment I go to work, I am already on heightened senses. Especially during meetings, or controlled environments, say presentations and what not, I tense up. I get so irked and anxious about being called on, or having to talk.

On the contrary, I dont' feel any of this elsewhere, but am a bit shy.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Froglet! I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. My anxiety really only acts up at work and when I am taking courses for school. Currently, I am working full time and am in grad school. Ever since I started school 3 yrs ago my anxiety/depression has been really bad. I am in treatment, but the work/school combo really puts me over the edge. Since getting sober, I have been relying on benzos (kolonopin) more to get by especially during this semester - i am taking 2 accelerated summer classes. I also take an SNRI (effexor). Like you, from the moment I get to my desk I am anxious as hell. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I lack confidence in my ability at work (although I am told that all in my head) and i don't particuarly love my job. Same is true with school. In all other aspects of my life I feel confident and relatively stress free and def don't need the benzos. I think your usage sounds totally resonable and if it is working and you dont feel like you are developing a dependency i say stick with it.

all my best to you!!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dbh

I started taking Xanax three years ago.

My alcoholic father had developed dementia and could no longer take care of himself. The stress of trying to find help for him combined with all the unresolved issues I had regarding my relationship with him was too much for me to handle. I started to have full blown panic attacks and couldn't function.

A low dose of Xanax (.25mg) helped me get through. I would also take it at night so I could sleep.

For a two year period he was in/out of a couple psych wards and spent a couple months in a psychiatric hospital. The Xanax helped me with my anxiety in these situations.

He has been dead now for almost a year, but I still have my prescription for Xanax. I take it mostly for sleep now, but will also take it for social situations that cause me to feel anxious. Sometimes I think I might even have a bit of ADD. The Xanax helps my mind from racing and get me to focus again.

The dose that I take has remained at .25mg and my doctor and therapist have never been concerned.

With that said, I have notice that therapy and recovery has helped me not need the Xanax as much. As I'm feeling more comfortable in my own skin, the panic attacks are happening less frequently.

Hanging out on SR has made me look at my benzo and alcohol use more closely. I wonder how much I use it as a necessity and how much is simply to avoid feeling certain emotions.

That's my story :-)

Thanks for letting me share.

db
Old 07-02-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a long-term benzo user.

My doc knows about my past alcohol addiction, and he's fine with prescribing me medication as needed. He uses a flexible approach with benzos, he sets a fixed lower limit, and a higher limit to be used only if necessary. I've managed to stick to the lower limit for quite some time now, as I've learnt skills to defuse my anxiety. The goal is to taper off completely once I'm confident that I can fully manage my anxiety.

Benzos are extremely powerful meds, if you're planning on using them in the long-term, I think that the key is to learn to respect them.

The last thing anyone needs is a benzo addiction, stick to your prescribed dose.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me
Old 07-04-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mattcake79 View Post
I'm a long-term benzo user.

My doc knows about my past alcohol addiction, and he's fine with prescribing me medication as needed. He uses a flexible approach with benzos, he sets a fixed lower limit, and a higher limit to be used only if necessary. I've managed to stick to the lower limit for quite some time now, as I've learnt skills to defuse my anxiety. The goal is to taper off completely once I'm confident that I can fully manage my anxiety.

Benzos are extremely powerful meds, if you're planning on using them in the long-term, I think that the key is to learn to respect them.

The last thing anyone needs is a benzo addiction, stick to your prescribed dose.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me
I was prescribed .50MG 2x a day but cut down to .25-.50 mg as needed based on what my body was telling me. I noticed that at the end of the week, w/ the benzo in the system, I didn't need as much to upkeep myself.

I find it helpful but regardless am feeling weird about taking drugs for the long term.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a prescription for a few years. It was a very low dosage. I think it was .25, can't remember. Anyway, I took myself off them and just stopped going back for more. It got to where I was taking them daily, and a couple times a day at that... just to get rid of the tension. I'd built up a tolerance, along with drinking of course. Toward the end I was taking them just to keep from being a ball of nerves... so I said, enough of this. Why am I paying for pills to feel "normal"? It was a bit rough for about a week or two and then I was fine.

I'd just monitor closely, to see if you're building up a tolerance. I guess everybody's chemistry is different. Plus, I was taking them recreationally with alcohol... that's abuse.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
For me, the moment I go to work, I am already on heightened senses. Especially during meetings, or controlled environments, say presentations and what not, I tense up. I get so irked and anxious about being called on, or having to talk.
me too! I was dealing with this by taking tramadol at work. it would really settle me down, help me concentrate, give me energy. I was very productive during this period. But, they are addicting, and i was taking them on weekends too. Just a couple a day. But after a few months of this, it was causing me to sleep 10 hours a day, and my physical strength was rapidly decreasing. Like soberjennie said, i realized i was abusing them, rather than strategically using them. But i never used them to get high, to escape. (Well, i did use them to escape the anxiety). I'm just trying to not be the slowest participant in the workrace.