Notices

Adding a Marathon to the mix - good or bad decision?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adding a Marathon to the mix - good or bad decision?

I've got 15 days under my belt and I feel great! For the past couple of years I've been a runner. I ran half marathons last year and the year before and did reasonably well in those races - 1:40 and 1:45.

Over the past 15 days my runs have been feeling so good that I've been inspired to take on the challenge that training for and ultimately completing a 26mile/42km race would present.

Based on where I am in my level of fitness I would need 16 weeks of training. The race in Toronto is October 16th. Back date 16 weeks and my training program would have to begin yesterday...literally! Training for something like this is basically running 4 times per week with a "Long Run" on Sundays. The long run is long - starts out at basically 10k and peaks at 32k about 3 weeks prior to the race. The other runs aren't too bad.

So, is this a healthy thing to throw into the mix or is it too much to do all at once. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi tippingpoint, we are pretty much hand in hand in our timing...

i found that getting back to working out gave me something positive to do and definitely helped to get my mind off of alcohol and onto being more healthy. it will take take time to gain back what has been lost over the years, but it's worth it... it's a great challenge.

i confidently say that you should go for it. you'll be busy with training instead of drinking until october (not to say you'll go back to drinking after that)... what could be better?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go for it Tipping. No holding back. Would be a fantastic thing to achieve!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tipping Point! I hope you don't mind me giving you a bit of my story---I quit drinking in 6/2007, and resumed running that day--it had been a long time and i had put on a ton of weight, High Blood Pressure had reared it's ugly head, and several other maladies related to drinking and weight gain. I trained for six months (hard) and finished the Houston Marathon 1/2008 (I was a "play" runner before this training ). By that time (6 months) I had lost over fifty pounds, eliminated my med probs, and felt better than I ever did. And then I decided to reward myself for accomplishing that "great feat" ---I drank till I threw up after the race, and didn't stop for over two more years (April 2010).

I don't tell you that to discourage you--I say GO FOR IT. I felt amazing during that training--talk about therapy--I tell you to keep your antenna up so you know you MIGHT experience those same feelings I did and can use them in a better way, without using. It was not worth it, and stole the glory of the race. Don't do that.

But DO do the 26.2! Do it, do it, do it!!!! The rewards of the journey of training are even better than finishing the race.

For me, it was -- box-o-wine to finish line in 180 days....
Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

viz the relationship with alcohol -what could go wrong?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Let me add how I think I sabotaged myself (one way anyway)--Training was a great excuse to not drink--and I would tell my drinking friends "I can't-I'm training" --which to THEM, it meant, as soon as that race comes, we get our party friend back. They all came out and cheered me on (I love my friends) and certainly didn't pour anything down my throat, but with all the adrenalin of finishing the race, all of them being there (kind of surreal) and wanting to "celebrate"---well, there ya go. NOT THEIR FAULT, I know, but I hadn't prepared properly, nor made a decision evidently. I should have said "I no longer drink"... when I embarked upon training. Lord knows I had a ton of health reasons not to.

You may not have any of these issues. if you do and this helps, great....either way, GET AFTER IT!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tippingpoint - I say DO IT! I ran a marathon back in 2001 and I can honestly say it was the one of the best days of my life. You are doing something great for yourself and giving yourself a milestone in life that is very achievable - since you are already a runner!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

writingfromlife, these are very wise words, i myself fell into the same trap a few times (to say the least).

once a certain goal was reached -- it was time to celebrate... which led to becoming more and more consumed with alcohol rather than real-life goals.

this time i am setting goals, but with them i am also setting a goal of not drinking
Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can tell also my experience. I have not run marathons, but I like mountaineering. When I got completely exhausted after climbing a high mountain, I felt very euphoric and very thirsty. I thought: I'm very thirsty, completely exhausted and I am a good mountaineer, so I deserve some beers. Sure they won't hurt a so strong mountaineer. I found that was a very dangerous trigger, so now prefer not getting completely exhausted, until I get a significant period of sobriety (now I have 75 days).

Sorry, my english is not very good.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go for it!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great support and encouragement!

And thank you for the warnings too. I can see where one might feel like celebrating afterwards...but I'm not too worried about me in this regard. I'll have a few family members at the finish line but that's about it.

I think the training will be a great distraction to have for the next 4 months or so. Sunday morning long runs will leave my house at 7:00 am so there can be no shenanigans the night before. I think I've managed to talk a buddy into doing it with me too which will be nice.

I'm decided!

Marathon, here I come!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy training and good luck on your marathon.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tippingpoint - Here here! I'm with every one else! Go for it. I was walking this morning thinking how it's just about time to start "training" for another backpacking trip this fall. My hubby and I want to return to Isle Royale National Park for the 3rd time, and backpack across the island. As put, eupohric! Those 5-6 days of backpacking are exhilerating. No alcohol. Completely sober. And when we finished our trip and the seaplane picked us up to take us back to land....CELEBRATE! Beer and shots! Woohoo!

This year, I have to change that part of the regimen as we all do when we have any kind of celebration. Find celebration in another form that makes you feel good about what you just accomplished.

I'm excited for you and for others that are concerned for their health and have realized, that you can lead a healthy lifestyle all you want, but alcohol washes it all down the drain. That was my main push to get me to start on this path. All this reading nutrition labels, eating natural and organic, blah, blah, blah...and then slamming a shot of whisky.

Can't wait to hear your progress. Best of luck!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As a cyclist who still does a metric century and even a century now and then (my double century days may be behind me, but who knows...)... I fall in with everybody else... go for it...

I have heard some express concern that athletes can sometimes transfer addictive behavior, lose sight of recovery goals and all that... I found the opposite to be true... some of my best insights have been on long rides on empty rural roads... But, keep an eye on motives, and all...

Plus, since you are using a training schedule, a very very good idea, you should be able to avoid overtraining and the mental and physical problems that go with that...

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yep, go for it! I can't wait to get back to running and am hoping that not drinking (or smoking) will make a big difference (I got shingles, which has sidelined me temporarily from exercise, but back to it this weekend, I hope).

I never felt like drinking after a long run (although I can relate to drinking after climbing/mountaineering for sure) or after any of my races - except one team endurance race where there was a lot of team pressure to booze it up afterwards. I always felt too clean and healthy, I think. At any rate, I do think the warnings are good to keep in mind, but I also think that setting a goal that's focused on health and wellness is critical. I've been casting about these past 4 weeks with nothing concrete to look forward to and that's not healthy either.

Good luck with the training and have fun!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is no doubt that a marathon would give my addictive personality something else to focus on!

The training schedule that I'm following won't give me the opportunity to overtrain in any way...nor will my life schedule...just don't have the time. It's going to be hard enough squeezing in 4 runs a week around work and family, but it can be done.

It's the squash twice a week that I'm worried about...LOL.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know what I think. Do it!!!!!

I'm doing Chicago on the 9th... it's amazing to train sober.

Some people think we get addicted to exercise.... they are probably right....

I don't care. I love to run and it isn't hurting me or others. Go for it!!!!