Notices

Had to put this in writing

Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had to put this in writing

Hello everyone I'm finally posting here! I don't want to go into too much detail right now other then to say I've been binge drinking since I was 18, now 37, and I'm done.

I've been thinking about quitting a lot the past several months. I've decided I don't like me drunk anymore if that makes any sense. I've taken a few couple week breaks but I don't really tell anyone so its easy for me to go back to drinking. This time I'm putting it in writing here and telling my friends and family. I figure it will make it harder to go back.

I know I can do it. I just recently got out of the army and during my 2 tours in Iraq I wasn't allowed to drink for a total of 2 years and it wasn't so bad lol! Well thats almost true. During my 2 week mid tour leaves all I did was get hammered with buddies. I honestly can not remember anything about those breaks now. Some vacation huh.

I'm not sure what happened but for you Matrix fans I feel like at some point I've taken the red pill. Now every time I drink I feel bad about it the next day. This in sharp contrast to my 20's when I didn't even care about the next day haha! Now I aspire to be a better person.

Anyway been lurking here for a while now but have not been able to bring myself to join until today. You guys seem like a great bunch and I look forward to spending time here. I think I'm going to have to, especially once the weekends roll around.

Oh while I'm at it think I'm gonna quit smoking too.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Khyron. You will find a lot of supportive people on this site. I'm glad you are ready to tell everyone. I have struggled with that and it has hurt my progress. Good for you!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Missy. I've read some of your posts and I have a similar cycle. I'll drink all weekend, spend a few days recovering, and then when I feel good by friday I celebrate by getting drunk. I was gonna quit last weekend. I signed up for a 2 day rifle marksmanship course out of town. I figured I didn't want to be around for the weekend. Anyway the class was great, I actually was the top shot in the class and got a patch which was awesome. Anyway I get home Sunday night feeling great about myself and what do I do? I head to the bar to celebrate, make an ass out of myself and have a horrible 2 day hangover. Ridiculous.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The whole thing is ridiculous. I do think that the first couple of attempts are really important though so hang onto this one. I think once you have relapsed a couple of times and then quit again that cycle seems deviously reasonable. So avoid it.

I hope I'm stronger this time around. I need to get this done for lots of reasons.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery Khyron, I'm glad you found us!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Editor

Welcome Khyron! This road is not easy, but it is most certainly worth it. Read and post. We are all not so different and we all learn from each other. Before I looked for help I thought that I was an isolated case. At least I know that I am not alone now.The support here is wonderful. Once again welcome.
Day by Day
Dave
Old 06-20-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok I just told one of my roomates, who happens to be one of my best friends and drinking buddy, that I'm quitting. Kinda of awkward but I've been talking about quitting for awhile so he wasn't surprised. He's a good friend and we have more in common then just drinking so I don't see any problems. Next up is Dad, going fishing with him in an hour. I suppose I could tell my cat, shes around now I think .
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tell the cat. You do not want her to think you left her out. She's probably the most important of your associates and surely the most judgmental. How will her life change? My dog's life will be improved as she won't be left alone as much.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

welcome Khryon these are positive steps irrespective of how it works out. it is part of your journey-good luck
Old 06-20-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL, I bet your cat will be happy to hear the good news, too.

It sounds like you are ready to begin a new life. Good for you!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Khyron
Hope to see you around

D
Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thank you for your military servic .
You might be interested in checking out the current G.I. Bill if school is in your future plans.

Welcome to sR.....
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome Khyron,

Fellow ex-military here, retired AF at about your age a few years back. Been on a few "lost" TDYs/R&Rs myself. Just hang in there, your enlisting your local support group and not hiding it is a huge step, one I took also from the start. I also used the VA for an in-hospital detox. They also have a 28 day in house rehab for vets. If you are near a VA hospital you might want to look into what is available there for you free. I declined the rehab after two days, I after all have a nice home of my own. I used my Doc, the VA, AA, here at SR a lot, my two sons and wife, as well as online friends. Most only cared about my smoking as I was a chain smoker and yes I quit smoking at the same time too. I keep seeing a lot of folks that don't seem to be able to get past a few days. The one thing I notice about them is they do it alone, and repeat what didn't work for them a milion times in the past and will fight tooth and nail at any suggestion that doing things differently might be saner.

When I ask what their recovery plan is and who are their local support group and are they enlisting their doc or a doc for detox many go scurrying away crying I couldn't, I just couldn't.

They are right.

Some of us learn how we can, eventually.

Welcome again!