June 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

June 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

June 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

It is really a pity we cannot go to market and buy ourselves a big chunk of sense of humor just as we would buy a package of yeast. They do about the same kind of job: yeast gives lightness and pleasant texture and taste to bread; the bit of humor works to lighten the heavy seriousness of our daily living, and smoothes out the rough spots in our communications with each other.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I want to remember, every time I’m tempted to take a heavy, somber view of a happening, that it may not be so bad, after all. Maybe, if I look closely, it has an element of fun – fantasy, absurdity or even a relieving silliness. My mood makes it look black when I could spark it with a dash of rosy pink.

I’ll try to look for the things that can add gaiety to my life to offset the solemn or troubling ones. I’ll cultivate a knack for recognizing and enjoying numerous moments. This could be a really constructive way of detaching my mind from my daily difficulties.

“It is usually anxiety that bars us from seeing the lighter, brighter things of life. The anxiety exists within us, so we are free to reject its influence on the way we react to what happens to us.”
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Present

I post these daily in the Friends and Family of Alcoholics board and ended up posting it here before realizing I am in the Friends and Family of Substance Abusers board.

Well I figure that this is just as much for you as for anyone. I started reading some of your threads here and realized where I was. My AH is in recovery, has been in recovery for 15 years (since before I met him) from crystal meth. He is not in recovery from alcohol.

Much love and healing to you. To us all.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks Meredith, there are no mistakes, I NEEDED to read that today.

I remember when I first came to SoberRecovery over 9 years ago, a few member who arrived at the same time (we were smaller then) made me laugh like I had not laughed in an awful long time. Mostly we laughed at ourselves, but whatever it was I remember how good it felt.

Today I will remember to laugh, to find humour in any mishaps and just let the light lead me.

Thank you for posting this and making me smile.

Hugs
Old 06-13-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Present

Hi Ann! and you are right - there are no mistakes. I received a very nice PM from someone here who mentioned something about meth, and as I got to thinking about it... I realized I heard my AH say that alcohol was never as good as meth was. He misses that stimulation. So, I thought it would be a good idea to do some Nar-Anon study too.

Hugs back to you
Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you meredith for this post. hope your day was good.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Meredith,

what a great reminder of how HP has a sense of humor! Thanks for sharing this!

Donna
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Present

Hello again...Speaking of "no accidents"...something I had brought up in one of the many courses of therapy I've gone through in my life, but had not thought about, came up again just a couple of days ago.

I was born in '59, and in the late 60's - early 70's ??? my mother was high on diet pills and lost a lot of weight.

There came a point where the doctor wouldn't re-prescribe them for her.

One thing I distinctly remember was that she insisted on exciting me emotionally. She was VERY manic on the pills, and would become VERY angry if I did not match her level of excitement.

I've had two major illnesses in my adult life that are stress related. And I see the connection.

And I see other connections around other decisions I made in my life.

I feel kind of frozen around this revelation, and that, too, is familiar from the past.

Maybe I can thaw out?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I sure can relate to that, I often take on the emotions of whoever I am with...if they are anxious, I pick up on it, if they are angry, I feel the tension...I am tofu to negativity.

I have learned to stop myself when it begins. To take a deep breath, or find a reason to get away if even to another room, and tell myself that they own their behaviour and emotions and I own mine. Then I think some peaceful thoughts and try to create my own energy.

Old habits die hard. It takes practice and even today I struggle with this.

Hugs
Old 06-30-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Meredith
There are no accidents......thank you for posting. I do find myself to be waaaay toooooo serious and a hearty laugh can make me feel so much better! There is so much humor in living!

And thank you for sharing that your husband is in recovery for such a long period of time from meth. My son is addicted to meth. Your husband gives me hope.

Welcome to the "other" F&F side.....you're welcome here anytime!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Present

thanks Kindeyes! I've thought about your post here, about hope for your son, since I read it on the 30th. As you can see, a post of yours in this area of the board, so moved me, that I'm using it in my signature. Thank you for sharing your refridgerator wisdom!

My husband went through Victory Outreach to recover from meth. He didn't instantly come out and never do it again; he did it a few more times before he finally let it go. Unfortunately, he turned the addictive tendencies to alcohol. ARGH.

He basically got away from the part of town where meth was available and started working a job for which he cared.

And you know, I don't know what it is that will make each person choose the medication of recovery over the "medication" of addition.

But what I do believe is, each person knows, at SOME level, what will ultimately work to stop the addiction. And I think maybe what they are most afraid of is going through the pain that they will ultimately have to face; the pain of guilt, regret, shame, etc, in order to be sober.

While that is what I believe, I also believe that since I am not an addict/alcoholic, there are some things I just can't understand. Knowing it's beyond me is how I am able to open the door to HP.