Notices

Day 2

Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Day 2,
Day one a success. I don’t have a lot of confidence but feeling better about getting one day under my belt. Wish day 2 wasn't a Friday ..talk about poor planning

I am thinking of going to an AA meeting and have found a place close by that may fit my schedule. I like the idea of having a sponsor I just don’t know how to explain to my wife as she is very independent and would be surprised at my decision to seek assistance. While she knows I drink a lot I don’t think she knows how much. Also I am not spiritual in the least.

I think I need more reasons to quit, as I am sure many functional drinkers believe. What has been my motivation thus far is health and weight. I am sure I will lose weight if I don’t replace the 800-1000 nightly liquid calories I have been consuming for the last few years. Eliminating copious amounts of toxic liquid has to be good for the body.

I guess I am hoping that not drinking will begin to provide more motivation/reasons to stop because I am afraid I don’t currently have the motivation required because I am not facing jail, divorce, loss of loved ones, immediate health concern, ect . Maybe I am just rationalizing reasons I don’t need to stop so I don't feel so guilty if I fail.

So my reasons to stop so far are:
Weight
Health
No guilt
Wake up clear
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I hope you stay on this site and go through the threads...you'll find tons of motivation. Please keep in mind that just because you haven't lost anything yet (spouse/job/etc) doesn't mean you won't in the future if you keep drinking. Best of luck to you!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Binary,

Congrats on quitting! We have the same sobriety date!

Sometimes you just have to do something for yourself because you know it's the right thing to do. Every other reason you listed will be an added benefit.

But only you can know if you have a problem with alcohol. Seeking assistance is the right thing to do.

When I tried to quit without telling anyone and with no support at all, I didn't make it.

I'm thinking about going to AA too. I am not the least bit spiritual either which is why I've been hesitant to join a group. But I found one that doesn't follow the 12 step process which is exactly what I need I think.

The best time to quit is before you are facing jail time, divorce, etc. Just think about how you are never going to have to deal with any of that as a result of drinking...

"Quit while you are ahead!"
Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same date? Wow we are both facing day 2 on a Friday (hard day for me). Here is to us making it thru the weekend

I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

--BN
Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don’t currently have the motivation required because I am not facing jail, divorce, loss of loved ones, immediate health concern,etc.

You are not facing these things YET. And YET stands for You're Eligible Too!

If your drinking is out of control, meaning you can't control it, it's just a matter of time before some of the things you mentioned above happen. And they can happen really quick. If you do something dumb like get behind the wheel of a car while drinking you could accomplish 2 or 3 of those things in one night.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the longer we stay sober, the more our perception clears, and the more reasons we realise we have for quitting & staying quit, BN.

Congratulations on your decision

D
Old 06-10-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Hi Binary
The costs I paid for alcohol have not been as high as jail, DUI etc. I knew if I kept going something was going to happen, (things were progressing unpleasantly) it was one of my motivators for change.

I did this exercise a few times. On a sheet of paper write all the pros and cons of your use. Keep going over it, again and again. Initially I had a lot of reasons to drink on my list that when I really thought about it (over the last year) while still drinking I could see they were mainly distortions, lies and where I was giving alcohol credit it did not deserve. At the heart of it the only thing I liked was the buzz. I cannot have the buzz without the torment of craving and the struggle for control.

Meanwhile the negatives list when you really analyse it can get very big. It's easy to leave out the missed opportunities.

Keep coming back