Notices

Bottom line: Anxiety + Alcohol Self-Medication

Old 06-08-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bottom line: Anxiety + Alcohol Self-Medication

I've used alcohol for decades, and 99.999999% of the reason is to self-medicate my anxiety away.

Can anyone relate? Sometimes I feel like I'm the ONLY one in the world in this sad situation?

Anyways, just throwing it out there, gotta go for a leisurely drive home from the office.

Hope I have some encouraging replies to this post.

...especially replies that give me suggestions as to how, WITHOUT alcohol, to control my generalized anxiety disorder.

Best wishes to you all.

Kelly from Toronto, Canada.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely used alcohol to control my anxiety, Kelly.

Since I've been sober, I've found my anxiety is less - part of that might be because I'm no longer exacerbating it with drinking, but I think I'm also learning not to sweat the small stuff...breathing exercises have helped me, as has exercise.

I find being too sedentary makes me obsess about stuff too much.

It definitely is a long road though...are you seeking professional help as well?

D
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I only know what I did to get a handle on my life regardless of the periodic anxiety attacks I have through the day. At home I will have some nervousness, like just being very anxious, jittery. I can and have lived with it for a long time in dual-diagnosis treatment. I have some medication to take daily, some days it helps some times not.

So mostly I just let the anxiety run it course, usually after a half hour or so I start to settle down. Being away from my home is harder but I still push on and do the things I want or need to do. Being in treatment has motivated me to push beyond the fear, reluctance and sometimes extreme duress that my anxiety causes me.

In my car I carry water, a towel, change of shirt and other stuff to help me deal with the physical symptoms of my anxiety. The more I work past the anxiety the easier it is to experience the psychological/psychical symptoms.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I self medicated with alcohol for too many years. Once I got sober and was sober about 5 years I was finally diagnosed with a correct diagnosis. I had been diagnosed for years with chronic depression but what I really have is PTSD and bipolar disorder. When I was treated just for the depression the anxiety only got worse with time.

Today I still have anxiety and do have klonopin to help me with it but that drug is highly addicting and I have to be very careful when and how I take it. I question myself each time I take it what my motives are for taking it, can I get by without it, etc.... I would not recommend it to anyone in early sobriety as anxiety is very common in early sobriety but it may just be caused by the withdrawal of alcohol which will pass with time. If the anxiety persists after a period of sobriety, personally I think at least 6 months to a year then I would say maybe it is more than alcohol withdrawal anxiety. But only a doctor can truly decide that for you. I am not a doctor by any means. This is just my experience.

Take care and I sincerely hope the anxiety eases for you. I know that exercise, meditation, and proper sleep are great for anxiety. I use them on a regular basis to help control my anxiety. I would try to apply them to my life right now as they may be the key to easing your anxiety.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank for years and never really asked myself why. However, I did quickly recognize that my anxiety and propensity to worry became painfully evident after I quit drinking. It was discouraging to make a good decision to quit drinking but to then have these other troubling traits show up. Maybe anxiety is part of why I drank but I did a good job of "self medicating" it??? I really don't know. Things are getting better and I hope they continue to trend that way.
Rest assured, you are not alone. There are lots of anxiety related posts on here.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly, I understand completely how you feel as I have also dealt with the same situation for years. I find that with alcohol it was always easy to deal with anxiety and stress in the short-term, although it never works out in the end. Sober I feel as though I am prone to worrying about the future or regretting the past..I really have a tendency to create stress... Sometimes I feel like no matter what goals I accomplish I am not satisfied with living in the "now". There is always another mountain to worry about.

With alcohol I found a way to stop the tedious and meticulous task of being "me", of constantly worrying, of sweating the small stuff so to speak. I feel that having anxiety and a drinking problem is the worst combination because they are mutually reinforcing.. I drink to relieve my anxiety but end up making it much worse. I have been unsuccessful at quiting for years but feel as though this will make life so much better. I have heard that it gets much easier over time.. I wish you all the best in your pursuit and would love to hear how you are doing. You are def. not alone.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
Hi Kelly, I understand completely how you feel as I have also dealt with the same situation for years. I find that with alcohol it was always easy to deal with anxiety and stress in the short-term, although it never works out in the end. Sober I feel as though I am prone to worrying about the future or regretting the past..I really have a tendency to create stress... Sometimes I feel like no matter what goals I accomplish I am not satisfied with living in the "now". There is always another mountain to worry about.

With alcohol I found a way to stop the tedious and meticulous task of being "me", of constantly worrying, of sweating the small stuff so to speak. I feel that having anxiety and a drinking problem is the worst combination because they are mutually reinforcing.. I drink to relieve my anxiety but end up making it much worse. I have been unsuccessful at quiting for years but feel as though this will make life so much better. I have heard that it gets much easier over time.. I wish you all the best in your pursuit and would love to hear how you are doing. You are def. not alone.
I just wanted to say to SR, Anthony
Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

KE: I can relate to your share and the others have offered some good suggestions. Have you tried any natural herbal remedies or Magnesium Citrate?

Welcome to SR Anthony
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome, nandm and recoverywfaith
Old 06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

prozac helped me
Old 06-15-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

To me, medicating with alcohol is the clearest example of making a deal with the devil... worst deal ever!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thats me for the past 20 years! i am now trying to give up the daily drinking. i think it makes the anxiety worse off. i hate it!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was the frontman of a few hardcore punk bands and was praised for my all out, anything goes, wild ass crazy performances. If the audience only knew they were watching someone who was at times, half drunk and at the verge of a complete panic attack.

The only way out was to get myself to go so over the top that the crowd would be in awe and like me. If it meant going through physical pain i did it since not only was my adrenaline level high enough that i couldn't notice something like my ribs cracking, there was plenty of beer and whiskey after the set to dull the pain while i enjoyed the ego rush of people gushing about our performance.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
heartofamama

hi friends, i thank God 4 the pieces of hope i can gather up from each of your posts.
i'm a worrier learning how only today is what God allows us to manage.
going back into memories or forward into "what-if" really is outside of our power.
i'm comforted to know that it's not God's idea for us to 'worry' about yesterday or tomorrow, but THIS WORLD is bombarding us with lots of unpleasant & sometimes unnecessary info that creates 'future-worry'.
also, the desire we have to be liked & accepted creates my 'past worry', because i tend to regret things or feel overly responsibe for people.
my coping is a 'combo-method', because i feel it's best to change-it-up occasionally.
various herbs & antihistamines otc are temporarily helpful if i really know it's gonna be a tough week.
better yet the comment about 'not being sedentary', SO TRUE!
something really gets excited in our brains when we move around, go to a new place, or make plans 2 enjoy a remodeling of our kitchen or a vacation we hope 2 go on.
these are just 'stimuli' either physical or mental, that get us 'revved-up', & counteract the doldrums.
sometimes i just call a friend who is ill or out of work & encourage them, tell them i think they're great because...
this going out of my way to bless someone else has been the best boost for how i feel. still, use em all, just don't go overboard keep on!!