June 6 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

“Now are come salvation and strength…”

This phrase from the Bible was used by an Al-Anon group as a meeting topic. Each member told how he or she was “saved” from making rash and perhaps tragic mistakes in dealing with a problem of alcoholism, and how al-Anon’s inspiration provided the strength to meet the situation with poise and serenity – and confidence in the outcome.

Most of us who have taken the program to heart and really applied it to our lives have had such experiences. But we must do the work for ourselves, with constant reading, meditation, prayer – and giving of ourselves to help others.

TODAY’S REMINDER

The miracles I hear of in Al-Anon do not happen to people unless they use their minds and hearts to bring them about. Freely shared experience, strength and hope are at hand to save me from discouragement and confusion. Do I want this help? If I do, I will use a spiritual pattern of living for the solution of all my problems.

“I soon learned, after a number of lapses, that Al-Anon didn’t just mean an evening out, listening to a speaker, and forgetting the whole thing until the next meeting. It’s an every day program that nobody else can work for me.”