Notices

When does the haze start to lift?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When does the haze start to lift?

Hi everyone and anyone. Tonight is exactly three weeks sober for me, after abusing beer for ten years and vodka for the past five years. I'm thirty five and in decent health. I am enjoying all of your posts and all of the freedoms of sobriety these three weeks, BUT, I notice some sort of constant haze over me. It's hard to explain. It almost feels like the day after drinking(hungover) without the headache, fatigue, or nausea. I don't do any other drugs anymore, not for a long time, but it's almost like I'm a little stoned. Does anyone at my stage recognize this, or does anybody that has more time sober remember this, and if so, how long did it last? What I feel isn't terrible, just curious if I did some permanent damage. I found out a couple of months ago from two audiologists that I have tinnitus, which is permanent, probably caused by years of drinking, smoking, and caffeine. So I'm stoned and have ringing in my ears, but feel great. It's like a morning after a rock concert, and I don't have to consume anything. Thank You all, I'm very happy to be here.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I felt physically better after the first few weeks, but the mental 'haze' took a while to go away. I remember it going away around three or four months, I think. Maybe a bit longer. But it did go away.

Eat well and rest well. Exercise if you are able. Be good to yourself as you are healing. It will get better
Old 06-04-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yeah...it is really common. Hang in there and it should go away. Your body is still adjusting after the abuse.

Congrats on the sober time!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a little while to feel clear headed too - I drank drugged and partied for along time....

I remember consciously realising I was feeling 'normal' about 3 months, tho it may have been sooner than that

D
Old 06-04-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The first thing I noticed was about 6 weeks in...when I could again finish crossword puzzles from my daily newspaper....
Like me...you have a long history so it takes awhile to get back in balance.

Glad you started on your way to a better future...
Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

I'm 3 weeks sober too and I feel the exact same way,tinnitus and all.

Was going to post about it,so thanks for beating me to it! haha

Hoping to read more personal experiences with this.....
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

I am 21 days. I have noticed something similar, I do not have all that much energy or motivation at least for more strenuous activity. I am walking, weeding, cooking, reading- it's all first gear stuff, but a great place to be. I have spent a lot of time thinking about not drinking, recovering etc etc, so much so that it seems a preoccupation. Things are heading in the right direction.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies, it's nice to know I have something to look forward to.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I remember being somewhat out of it in the first few weeks.

Just stay on course, and your head will clear.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It took me about 6 weeks to get out of the haze and feel better. After 3 month it was complelty gone. When I relapsed shortly I started at day 0 and it took me again 3 month to get over the haze... just to remind that relapse is not a choice for me.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, it's funny I was just thinking about this last night. I too feel like I am in a haze, just yesterday I thought I felt like I did when I was drunk or hung over, but I knew that was not possible. I too thought I felt like I was stoned, can't think clealry, and feel a bit tired and unmotivated. I am sober about 50 days, at first I felt great, but then this weird feeling set in. I have attended AA meetings and have heard a lot about the "fog" you can experience when newly sober. Another member said it could be the feeling of peace and serenity, which is foreign to us. I figured that the euphoria of being newly sober had worn off and this could be the real deal. A few weeks into sobriety, I cried so much, about everything. That has passed, and now I feel this haze as you described. I am glad you posted this and the feedback sounds positive, this too shall pass! Hang in there and props to us for another day sober!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I felt hazy for at least 3 months and I think it was 6 months before I really started to feel well again...I feel amazing now

Congrats on your progress!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There is a good set of info here on another forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

What will happen to you as you remain sober will be somewhat unique but this kind of covers some common stuff we go through. Healing the damaged , body , mind and spirit can seem slow , tedious , painful at times but the alternative is usually less appealing .
Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Congrats on your sober time!

Can't remember when 100% clear-headedness really kicked in though part of it was almost instantaneous within a couple of days. I also had bad ringing in my ears while I was drinking which would keep me awake at times. I would blame my chronic nasal allergies...yeah, right! More like an alcohol allergy, lol. Hadn't really thought about it til now. After a few weeks it was gone completely and I've only had very brief episodes in the 70something days I've been clean.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

lovingit, i am so glad you posted this question. thanks for posting it, and i also thank everyone for their replies!

i am 43 days sober now, and i am totally feeling this way too and have been for awhile -- just today i was walking down the street and said to myself, "wow, i feel stoned!" my mind felt like it was in a foggy dream-land, i was light-headed, and the whole world seemed surreal. i am also finding it hard to focus on reading material. i actually started to think that maybe i needed to see my doctor...i am SO glad to hear that this haze is common in early sobriety and will pass
Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yeah I felt the same way- in fact I asked about it here too.

I'm at a little over 5 months sober and it's just starting to completely fade.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
instant

Previously, in my alcohol soaked existence, I was living in a haze and had great difficulty recognising this. I am starting now to look back and see how my quality of life and ability to relate to the world had been distorted and shrinking for a very long time.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

WOW! I can't believe the consistencies. I guess if you marinate for years, it takes some time to "dry out". It's just more motive to keep going. I'm noticing at work my performance is much better, and I'm thinking ahead(kinda like chess moves}. I almost want to apologize to my boss for paying me the same all of the drunk years. Speaking of work, now, I almost feel bad getting paid because it's so much easier working through the day, now at Day 23. QUITTING DRINKING IS A PROMOTION! Quote that!

So after reading all of the replies(Thank you all), I guess I'm looking at 6 weeks to 6 months, I'm in no hurry, I feel good. It"s scary to think I may even become smarter, more efficient, and happier in 6 months. I don't even know me after 15 years on the inside. I think I'll ask for a raise.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great thread!!.......I'm certainly in the fog.....15 days sober here.....good to know there is a light at the end of this hazy tunnel......