Notices

Some YouTube that might help tonight

Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some YouTube that might help tonight

Hey I'm having a bad night....

I was wondering if anybody had any links to good you-tube videos about people talking about their addictions. I was thinking some celebrity stuff. I saw a clip of Rob Lowe talking about his alcoholism a few weeks ago. He talked really intelligently about it. As well I found this clip of Colin Ferguson talking about his alcoholism on his late show. It was also good. Both were very honest about their experiences.

Does anybody have any links to other celebrities or just regular folks talking about their addictions?

Rob Lowe Describes His Alcoholism, Calls Out Charlie Sheen | iTREVINO
Old 06-03-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I liked the Craig Ferguson one...and I understand the John Goodman one is pretty good too...but I have no links sorry

D
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah if you guys just give me the names of some good ones I can google them myself. I find listing to others speak about their struggles very helpful. Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He's sort of my generation but I didn't know about all that. I can relate - when the thought crosses my mind of 'a drink' I know it's not going to be just a drink, why bother? It's going to be many more and likely havoc. I find it difficult to comprehend these days how people can have just one and be okay with it.

I can think of some documentaries I saw that truly scared me, I'm hesitant to link them though, as they are just so heavy going. I could only watch them once.

I noticed this recently. YouTube - ‪Joan Jett & Cherie Currie - '' Dealing with Addiction ''‬‏ I think that Currie actually went on to work as an addiction counselor.

Elton has spoken about his addiction problems a few times YouTube - ‪Elton John interview - part two - Parkinson - BBC‬‏ Michael Parkinson the interviewer has also had his share of problems with alcohol abuse.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here is the John Goodmen video...

Letterman - John Goodman's YouTube Moment - Season 16 - Episode 3117 - Video

Here is the Ferguson video...it's really good.

YouTube - ‪Ferguson Speaks From The Heart‬‏
Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's the thing that struck me as well about Rob Lowe. Something that I thought too. What's the point of having one drink? Who does that? Who can do that? I never understood that.

It kinda scared me to realize that I felt that way about drinking anything.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tim Allen talks about getting sober:

YouTube - ‪Ask and you shall receive ! Asia, World, Malaysia, Australia, Motivation‬‏
Old 06-03-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I watched Rain in My Heart this week on you tube after someone on here recommended it. It's broken up into 10 x 10 minute episodes. Filmed in the UK, it's a pretty graphic and very frank documentary about alcoholism, and it's pretty sad. But it helped me, it made me remember how very much I am determined to stay sober. If you are on a downer tonight, it might not be the thing for you tonight, but I'd definitely recommend it at some point.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Newwings that was the doco I was talking about, I'd forgotten the name of it. If you are prepared to watch it, it's very good but yep heartbreaking.

There are also AA materials available online, like mp3s, speakers tapes etc, they are free. I guess that would include some good testimonies.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

rain in my heart carries a very powerful message that we all should head
Old 06-04-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
oak

I just watched Bill Miller talk about Motivational Interviewing on youtube. (not a celebrity talking about his/her own addiction, so it may not be what you want)

I loved hearing more about motivational interviewing. (it is a counseling approach developed to treat addiction.) The first 12 minutes are not as good as the last 48 minutes of the video imo. (it's an hour long video)