Notices

Finally Free at last!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Free at last!

Since I have tried to quit many times and always went back after a week or a couple weeks I didn't want to say anything till I felt I had a real handle on quitting.

But now I can say with full belief that I am now a non smoker!

Today is 43 days 100% completely smoke/nicotine free for me. In the past I have tried nicotine inhalers, "fake" cigarettes (looks like a smoke but is just a long filter to put in your mouth)..have tried "The Patch", tried cutting down and tapering off...nothing ever lasted more than a couple weeks at best.

I always heard people that had quit cold turkey and actually never believed that they could just lay them down and never touch them again. But I guess it just comes to a point where you are simply ready to quit.

Because 43 days ago I got up one morning and tossed my last pack that had about 6 smokes left in it into the trash and I have not touched one since. I just finally made up my mind that since I am turning 40 this year I would either keep smoking and die with in 10 yrs of some nasty lung/heart illness, or I would choose to quit and live a longer life and not look back. I choose the later

So far after 43 days I can actually breath a deep breath and not start coughing up a lung. I no longer cough that deep cough at night when I lay down, or when I laugh I don't cough anymore. I can walk now without getting out of breath after only 1 block. My sense of smell and taste have both come back much better than they were before. I actually sleep better at night. And so far after 43 days I have saved $270.90

So anyone else that is trying/thinking about quitting I say stick with it, you will be amazed how much better you feel.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Congrats on 43 days of not smoking!!!! I'm sure there are others on here that are sharing a similar journey with you. I have been smoke free for awhile but want to encourage you to continue. It is absolutely worth it.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Daywalker. I'm in my 8th week smoke free and had been a 'serial quitter' for 15 yrs and this time is different for me too. I really like the extra energy and whiter teeth.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Congratulations Daywalker. I'm in my 8th week smoke free and had been a 'serial quitter' for 15 yrs and this time is different for me too. I really like the extra energy and whiter teeth.

Gotta agree with ya there the energy is just insane. I feel like I have 3 times the energy I had before. Matter of fact I had a few spare hours today and just finished cleaning out everything from under the bed and right now I'm halfway into cleaning the closet

Steve
Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just had to update this-

I've been on a 1000 calorie a day diet for the past few weeks as well tryin to lose some weight, so I decided to try to make it a point to walk 1 mile every day (Starting with today).

I just got back from the 1 mile walk (walking very brisk as well) and I am flat out amazed that I am not only not coughing like I use to do, but I really am not even out of breath or breathing hard. Use to when I smoked I would walk to the party store to get a pack of smokes (2 blocks each way) and I was so out of breath by the time I got home I would cough till I made myself sick.

It's simply amazing the difference in my health/breathing/energy in just such a short 7 weeks time frame!

Steve
Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you Steve! I work on the 7th floor of an office building and I would always take the elevator to the 5th floor and walk up 2 flights and when I got to my office and the receptionist would say hello I couldn't even say anything before because I was so out of breath and I wasn't even walking the stairs quickly...now I take the elevator to the 4th floor walk 3 flights and not breathing hard at all it's great!