Question

Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LifeByTheDrop

Question

What does it mean when a heroin addict stops trying to hide their addiction. When anyone asks him what he's doing he has no problem saying "I'm going to get dope." Doesn't try to hide track marks. To me it seems they have given up and don't give a rat's a** about anything anymore. They have also cut anyone who doesn't use out of their life. They have tried for years and years and years to hide it from everyone and then just stopped.

I posted this once already but I think there was some kind of error...
Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well... speaking from experience, it means:
1. They just don't care what anyone thinks about it anymore and have accepted their addiction as a given fact and part of their life, or more likely
2. They know they really need help but they don't know what to do or where to go. They pretty much assume that they'll never get out of the mess they got themselves into. Basically, they've nearly reached rock bottom.

Hope that helped you a little bit. Best of luck!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LifeByTheDrop

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping it means he's close to his rock bottom. Praying day and night. I think what I am most worried about is the fact that he's just given up and I know he just wants to die.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many people can live at what appears to us to be rock bottom for years and years and years.

My ex and all of his "friends" don't hide their addiction from anyone. It's an underground lifestyle. It's completely acceptable. You have to be a user to be a part of it. Everyone is transient. Everyone uses drugs. Nobody hides it. They are all dealers, hookers or thieves and they don't hide that from anyone either. They are in and out of jail and the hospital constantly. They are a drain on society. In away they are "family" network for each other and drug addiction is a requirement to be a part of the family.

My ex has been living this way for at least 10 years from now and God only knows if he'll ever change. I'm thinking not.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LifeByTheDrop

I guess I'm just confused by why it happened all of a sudden. He's been an addict for 13 years and has always "fooled" everyone. Or so he thought.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a cunning and baffling disease... Recovery is always an option for those who want it bad enough.