Not sure

Old 05-22-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Not sure

My SO has had numerous medical problems in the last year, from kidney stone, Lyme disease, gall bladder and a lupus like disorder. All vey real disorders, however each time a year ago resulted in a larger and larger hydrocodone script. All of a sudden she's in pain management getting 30 oxycontin 2xdaily and 10 mg percocet 3x daily. No biggie it was prescribed right. Didn't notice major problem until got a Script from a different doctor and she filled at a different pharmacy w/o using our insurance, so as not to alert her major source. Over the last several months she has burned through her scripts in 2-3 weeks and has supplemented with either family members or ER visits.

She had one more procedure done earlier this month which landed her in the hospital 6 days, and after confronting her about this being more than just pain control she promised to stop, well guess what? I now realize she's been on ~210 - 300 mg of oxy/ hydro for several months and even though she was gone for six days burned through her meds in two weeks!

She only has a few left and we have been spacing them out but she's been in withdrawals in between. She gets her refill next Thursday. My question is what should my role be, I want to flush her meds and make her go cold turkey, but I'm afraid she'd find a less than legal source. She recognizes there is a problem, but isn't really ready to stop.

It's scary for me, nothing really bad has happened yet, more housework for me or hired out, a few forgotten or misremembered events. Is some disaster just around the corner, how do I get her to stop?

Sorry for the long post
Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Don't flush her meds, detox can be dangerous and she should be under a doctor's care and direction if/when that happens.

It sounds like a family meeting with her doctor may be helpful, but I think she would have to agree to any discussion of this kind.

What she is doing is very dangerous, normally I would suggest stepping back and letting her take her fall, but in this case that fall just might kill her.

My heart and prayers go out for both of you, this is indeed a sad situation. I hope you both get help soon. Many of us found meetings helpful, to surround ourselves with the support of people who truly understood what we were going through.

Hugs
Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. It is scary when we realize the extent of a loved one's addiction.

Is some disaster just around the corner, how do I get her to stop?
None of us can read the future so we can't predict if there is a disaster around the corner.....only time will tell. Right now it sounds like she is cooperating with you and that's a good thing. Perhaps she would be agreeable to a conference with you present with her doctor? Ultimately.....stopping the pain meds will be on her. We can no more make them stop than we can make them do what they do to use. And unfortunately, the harder we try, the more they slip into stealth mode.

I hope you continue to come here to SR for support. Dealing with an addicted loved one is very difficult. We understand what it's like to love someone who is caught up with drugs. You are not alone.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If she doesn't contact her doctor and let him/her know about the drug abuse, be prepared for anything between now and Thursday. There's always a possibility for seizure and don't hesitate to take her to the ER if her symptoms get worse.

I learned everything I could about the science of addiction including withdrawal. It helped take some of the frustration out of it for me (knowledge is power), let me know what I was in for, and reminded me I did not have the credentials to treat my daughter's disease.

"Work the program you wish they would."

I starting working a recovery program for myself, when I understood "where there's an addict there's an enabler". It helped me understand the role I had been playing, why, and how to stop the insanity in my life, not hers. Her addiction was hers to own and I had to let her.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I live in a small town which is riddled with pain pill addicts. There are several doctors in town who prescribe deadly amounts to all of their patients. There patients are there for one reason and one reason only (not that this your current situation). In my town the opiates are like amoxicillan. The docotrs know these people cant tolerate the amount of meds prescribed and are aware much of the meds are being sold on the street. The doctors dont seem to care as long as they are getting their $150 per month. Oh and most of them require you to use a specific pharmacy. Wonder why that is... I am sorry you are beginning this battle. My prayers are with you.