Notices

Struggling

Old 05-14-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Struggling

It's been nearly 2 months since my last drink and today I am struggling.

I have so much on my mind. I feel so stressed out and all I want to do is drink. Alot. Now.

I have felt this building for a few days, but today it has reached the crisis point.

How do you get through this??? I am breathing, etc....but just have the most overwhelming urge to go and get totally smashed.

Sorry for the whinge.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I asked the same thing earlier tonight. No one ever really has a short term answer. They focus on long term answers (work the steps, connect to other people, etc). It can be really frustrating because you need something right now.

My recommendation--make a breakfast/brunch date with a friend. Plan something that will make it impossible to get away with drinking tonight. It may not completely solve the problem, but every bit helps.

Then tomorrow, look at the long-term solutions....
Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bronte, firstly huge hugs my friend.

Next...what will a drink do for you? Will it take away all of the problems or only add to them? Try to remember why you wanted to stop in the first place, and hold on to those reasons. I know how this feels hun, it is not easy, but you can do this....just today do not drink. Thats all you have to do.

And the other thing, is reach out, talk to someone and keep yourself distracted.

I am going to PM you now sweets...we are all here for you. You can do this, and not throw away all you have done to get where you are.

Hugs
Old 05-14-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
King of Fools

i'll second what Manz said... you have been trying to stay sober because you know it isn't good if you pick up the booze...there is a bunch of us on this site right now, PM / Jump in the chat... if you have close family/friend/sig. others to latch on to for the night, do it up.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronte View Post
It's been nearly 2 months since my last drink and today I am struggling.

I have so much on my mind. I feel so stressed out and all I want to do is drink. Alot. Now.

I have felt this building for a few days, but today it has reached the crisis point.

How do you get through this??? I am breathing, etc....but just have the most overwhelming urge to go and get totally smashed.

Sorry for the whinge.
All I can tell you is that I've given in to the urge and more than a few times, it has turned into a binge and then I end up in a worse situation than I was in before I picked up a drink.

Here's what I didn't do that would likely have helped (and, God willing, will help THIS time around):

call a friend and talk things through
recite the serenity prayer or third step prayer or some prayer/meditation
speak about what's going on with someone who has a lot more sobriety than you...chances are s/he has been through something very similar
Move...exercise always seems to make my problems more manageable
be of service...smile at a stranger, call someone else bc s/he may need help, too!

Oh, yeah, come here to SR and post. It helps me, a gal on yet another day one. I'd bet that it helps lots of people here.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Not picking up is the answer
How?

Yep call a freind
don't be alone
talk about what your feeling A LOT

then look at recovery programs, my experience has been I cant do this alone.

Good Luck
Old 05-14-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there, go for a walk, go to a movie, work out, grab a good book, clean house or go to bed early. You can do this, remember back to the regret and pain that drinking brings. Stay strong!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said - support support support Bronte

There's no extra credit for dealing with everything on your own - when things start to get on top of you, reach out - try to find out why you feel this way and keep looking for healthy ways to solve the problem
Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate to how you feel. One thing I do is try to play the tape all the way through. I think of the pain, regret, remorse and hangover that will happen tomorrow if I give in tonight. I think of that horrible feeling of letting myself down. When the thought of drinking pops into my head, I immediately think "NEXT" and do the next thing and try to stay focused on that. I just keep saying to myself, "just get through this moment."

The feeling will pass although it doesn't seem like it at the moment. You will be stronger for having gotten through it. Drinking just makes everything worse. Alcohol is not worth that short time feeling that we all tried to seek. It is just way too destructive to us physically and mentally. Alcohol delivers misery every single time.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thankyou all for taking the time to reply. I jumped in to chat and got a bit off my chest which really helped.

Thanks again. Don't know that I feel great, but I know I can make it through tonight
Old 05-15-2011, 01:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Good Onya, and we dont always have to feel great thats an old habit, we simply need to find ourselves and our centre.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hang in there Bronte... this too shall pass. One of the most surprising discoveries to me in early sobriety was the fact that what I am feeling right now is not necessarily what I will be feeling an hour or a day from now. who knew?? I always drank away the emotion before I could see where it was going. the cravings and urges do pass....
Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hang it there...just be strong....

It is not rocket science

Just be strong and call on anyone you want to on SR

we are here for you
:

L
Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Like others have said - support support support Bronte

There's no extra credit for dealing with everything on your own - when things start to get on top of you, reach out - try to find out why you feel this way and keep looking for healthy ways to solve the problem
Great words of support my friend.... You make so much sense at times..

No extra credit......well said.

reach out? well said.

And dee. I cant agree with you more than , Looking for heathly ways to solve a problem ..

You have much wisdom my friend

Kind regards

Lip
Old 05-15-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Bronte, **big hugs** first of all. I am so sorry that you are struggling. Picking up is never the answer and only complicates things further. I agree with the others, support is the key. Never worry about "whining", this is what we are here for. Don't ever hesitate to reach out to us, we are here for you, my friend

I also feel it is crucial to keep your mind occupied. Indulge in your hobbies and start replacing negative coping methods with positive ones. I have struggled with this A LOT as it's all I have ever known, but it IS possible and you can do it.

Stay strong and keep posting whenever you need to.

-Jess
Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

whatever you do, you can't use.

try re framing the question. Instead of asking yourself, why you want to use or what you have to do from stopping to get plastered, ask yourself what can you do right now to stay clean. What can you do right now to be very happy with yourself.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I got those urges, I got busy. I either went to a meeting or got physically active, ride a bike, go for a run, or walk 18 holes of golf. I ended up playing a lot of golf in early sobriety, and found it was good for me to just get out of the house and not obsess about my situation when I was most anxious.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing now Bronte?

D
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am pushing two months myself and oh I hope I don't get that feeling.

I am getting ready to go to two meetings tonight but had to check SR.

Wife asked me at dinner how are you staying sober?

I said Steps One through Three, lots of meeting and sponsor time.

I should be planting but it is still a mud hole here. Normally I would be drunk by now but not this time. I have too much happiness and too much invested to give up now.

I sure hope you make it through this as I know it will be there some time and I hope not soon.

Blessings.