Notices

Years Worth of Resentments

Old 05-08-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Years Worth of Resentments

I have two brothers, neither of whom are alcoholic. They are 11 and 12 years older than I (respectively). Neither of my brothers likes the other nor gets along with the other. Yeah, I know, dysfunctional family.

Apparently, resentments do not just affect those of us who are alcoholic. I spoke with my oldest brother this afternoon and my ears were ringing by the time I hung up the phone.

"He did this ... and he did that ... and he did the other thing." And the checklist of hurts and grievances go back 50 years. A lifetime. Both of my brothers have their respective lists of how the one hurt the other.

I had an epiphany today.

It occurred to me that those of us who are alcoholic and who are living the twelve steps might just be the most fortunate people on the planet. We have been given the tools to deal with and resolve our resentments.

I suspect that both of my brothers are going to take their resentments with them to their graves. They have held on to and nurtured them for so long that their resentments have become a part of their very being.

But I will not have to live like that. I have the gift of freedom and release on the horizon. I almost feel sorry for my brothers -- that they are not alcoholic and do not have the gift of this spiritual path.

Susan
Old 05-08-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post

I had an epiphany today.

It occurred to me that those of us who are alcoholic and who are living the twelve steps might just be the most fortunate people on the planet. We have been given the tools to deal with and resolve our resentments.
Yup. I've had the same epiphany myself, Susan. Thing is, we can be a good example. But be warned: it freaks some folks right out.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
I had an epiphany today.

It occurred to me that those of us who are alcoholic and who are living the twelve steps might just be the most fortunate people on the planet. I almost feel sorry for my brothers -- that they are not alcoholic and do not have the gift of this spiritual path.

Susan
Susan -- exactly why i introduce myself as a very grateful alcoholic at meetings!