Notices

Trying this Again

Old 05-06-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying this Again

I first joined last September, went off the alcohol for a few weeks, relapsed, came back in November and repeated the same thing.

Well, I'm ready to have another go at it (and hopefully successful this time). I was in a 10k race last Sunday and had 2 pints after it so no hangover as such.

The weekend before, I drank all day Saturday, Sunday, Monday and most of Tuesday. I was extremely close to going to a Dr. but didn't bother in the end up. I had the sweats in bed, cold one minute, roasting the next, black rings below the eys, dried skin in the face, dehydration all week, etc. - the usual story.

I seriously don't know if I can hack another withdrawal like it. I also know I can't handle moderation - the 2 pints after the race last week had me close to going on a full session but it was Sunday and I had just about enough sense to stay off it for the busy day I had ahead of me in work. So that makes today DAY 5 for me.

I've missed to many days and it's at a point where everyone in the office knows it's hangover-related. I've got scars from drink-related accidents in years-gone-by - one of which resulted in a nurse telling me that I was lucky I wasn't brain damaged.

Yet I keep drinking.... it must be astonishing to a non-drinker wondering why we do it to ourselved.

Okay, well anyway, I was at the gym today and started a new weights program and I've bought a new iPhone app (All-In Fitness) that keeps track of the workouts you make and the ones you miss. I've also joined a Yoga class every Wednesday and will be joining a cycling club which will pass most Sundays on the bike.

This will keep me pretty active. I'm reading a weight training book at the moment and will take up reading a little more often as well.

If it doesn't work on my own this time.... AA will be the route for me!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, and I've also started drinking proper coffee as opposed to the instant crap. I bought a hand operated burr grinder and an Aeropress together with some freshly roasted beans..... a huge difference from the instant stuff... :-)
Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Bikeman... I'm hoping that if I keep really busy, I should be able to get through the first month and, after that, I've too much to lose by drinking again!!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keeping busy helped me a lot, after a few days of not drinking I found out just how many things I had been neglecting because of my drinking. I spent the first month playing catch up and fixing a bunch of the things I had screwed up during that time. Good luck, keep coming back to SR often, it's been a great help to me.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do it!!! Keep busy
Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, I understand the insanity of it all cause I was lucky
to be alive after smashing into a concret culvert sitting
on top the ground at 2 in the morning. I was rushed to
the hospital where they removed my punctured spleen
so i wouldnt bleed to death. That was in February 1990
to only months later in August I was right back at
the same place doing the same thing, coming home at
the same time, to only find myself trying to end my life
with a hand full of pills.

Intervention came into play and August 11, 1990 was
and is my sobriety day. Still sober 20 yrs. later I continue
doing whatever I need to do each day to stay sober one
more day.

Ive been on an interesting, exciting, ride of my life in
recovery with twists and turns of many changes to get
me to a happy honest content life that I am grateful for
today.

This can happen to anyone who incorperates the steps
and principles set down before us to live by a day at a time.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome (back). Keeping busy is a great idea but I changed my thinking about drinking. It's gotta come from within or ya go right back to the same ol', same ol'.
Been 100 days today for me after a 30 year binge...things are sooooo different now.
Hopefully, you can get on track and stay there this time. I know how hard it is falling back into the pit. Good Luck.