2 years clean and sober for BF...

Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 years clean and sober for BF...

Today! Woohoo!

Today he is celebrating 2 years clean and sober and I suppose it's been about 2 years since we met (I volunteer at the shelter where he was in recovery) and not quite a year since we started dating.

I just want to say that so far it has been the most honest, fulfilling, trusting, and loving relationship I've ever been in (I'm 34, he's 54). He is the first person that still wants me to be ME and not give up any part of my life for him. I want the same for him. We are so respectful of each others space. We cherish the times we spend together but also appreciate the time we are apart. (Interestingly enough, at the beginning of our relationship I was the one that was more concerned about his recovery, and he was more concerned with our age gap... but after a lot of talking we have come to honest and happy terms with both factors )

He is still in the process of trying to improve his life one step and at a time. He is working towards getting a better job and is taking some Outreach courses, which is great.

I know I was strongly cautioned here to be careful and that it would probably be a bad idea to get involved with someone so newly clean and sober (just over one year at the time)... and I was pretty worried about it myself. But in the end I followed my heart and so far there has not been one single day of regret.

I just want to encourage everyone here that people CAN and DO change if they really want to, and if they put in the continued effort every day. I know my BF does and I am much happier for it.

Good wishes and hugs to all here!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

wahooo - congrats to both of you!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Congratulations!
I am glad that it is working out.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh a happy post! Thank you! I love happy posts!

Congrats and best of luck to you and your sweetheart!
~T
Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Oh a happy post! Thank you! I love happy posts!

Congrats and best of luck to you and your sweetheart!
~T
Thanks

I love happy posts too! Sometimes there are just not enough of them.

But we all deserve love and happiness and that is my sincerest wish for all of us here. That we find peace, love, and happiness.

Even though so far I have not really needed the "services" of this site, I sometimes think about what I would do if I ever did... and I am so glad that there is a community of such supportive, understanding people to turn to.

You guys all deserve a big THANK YOU for taking time out of your own lives to help others. This is just one more reason that you all deserve peace, love, and happiness...

I hope you guys don't mind if I occasionally post progress reports on my relationship... it feels good to share
Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by Tatertot View Post
I hope you guys don't mind if I occasionally post progress reports on my relationship... it feels good to share
Share away!
It's always great to hear the positive side of the coin.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great news Tatertot!

All the best.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
That's great news Tatertot!

All the best.
Thanks gerryP! That means a lot coming from you. You really were one of the strongest "voices of reason" when I first logged on here.

I hope everything is going well for you in your life now. I really want to thank you for taking the time to post your concerns for me. It really means a lot.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You go Tatertot!!

Glad things are working out. I don't believe in ever giving up hope because sometimes good things can happen.

Keep posting! It helps to hear that people/relationships do and can thrive if the person is taking their recovery to heart.

Wishing you all he best Taters.