Notices

the awesomeness of sobriety?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the awesomeness of sobriety?

Please tell me about something you did while sober that you were really, really happy you were sober for.

Kids? Family? Friends? Warm sunny days with your dog?

I hear a lot of things that people are sad that they were drunk for, it's the nature of my posts, I know. And, I think it was Newwings who gave a great list of reasons she's sober, but I want to hear some other people tell me why they are happy they are sober. What are some things you would be crushed if you'd been drunk for?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can look at myself in the mirror now.
For the first time as an adult - I'm happy.

My life still has ups and downs - but I'm happy

D
Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Sunn- Thanks for the softball! I know a lot of us who've dealt with the pain of active addiction are eager to share the countless joys of sobriety.

The best reason I can give is I am 36 and my wife is 18 weeks pregnant with our first child. Although if I was drinking I would still be here, I really wouldn't be here....get it?

Betcha do!!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS, RANGER!!! I love my niece. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me. I can't imagine having my own baby! You must be freaking out with joy!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That can be quite a question, Sunn. Alot of us have done nothing sober for so long that doing anything sober is grateful.
Considering I have been drinking most of my adult years...30 years, now that I'm sober everything I do is happy. I have a different way to view things now. I have had learning experiences that can only be given through life -for me. Things that no one can teach me -except myself.
I separated from my husband last August and was deathly afraid to fail on my own. I was so afraid, I started drinking and I completely failed by losing my new job. I think he knew over time I would start and fail and probably come crawling back to the house on my knees begging to come back for security. But ya know what? I didn't. I struggled alone into the realms of sobriety. I took each day as a learning experience. I let myself be lazy, I let myself sleep in, I let myself eat ice cream for dinner. I got myself another job and actually yesterday the one supervisor sat down next to me at lunch and said I was a very valuable player on the team. I've only been there a week! I haven't even gotten a paycheck yet! LOL
I am succeeding in my life...that is all I need to be happy. For me to be happy so I can be happy for my kids and feel secure. Very important to me.
Oh and my dogs, my dogs make me happy!!
Everyday is the first day of the rest of my life. Doing anything sober is better than doing it half in the bag.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee, that makes me hopeful. I want to look at myself in the mirror and have that gesture make me happy. ...hell, I want to look at myself in the mirror. I want the ups and downs to make me feel like I'm present. Lately I've felt like I've been absent in my life. I'm okay with the bad as long as I feel like I'm here, in my life, feeling it day to day. At least, I want to want those things, and I used to be okay with those things. I guess I want to get back to being able to deal with the bad things.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the baby, Ranger. I hope it doesn't look like Joe Dirt. Hehe
Old 05-01-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats, Emerald! I can't imagine being in a situation where I had to deal with two huge personal issues at once. You're obviously a strong person.

And, I just got my first dog in February. She's an angel. And, I've found myself curling up with her during times when I feel a bit lost. I never expected a dog to make me feel so...happy. Really. She's a baby and I'd do anything for her. Animal therapy, right, Emerald?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Servant of God

I really can't speak to this subject right now but in the past, the thing that left the biggest impression on me was the ability to grow and mature emotionally.

I believe I had a period of time that I was sober several years ago and for me there was no euphoria or endless joy but rather an ability to appreciate and enjoy small pleasures in life. Going to the movies with someone, washing your car, a good workout, a good book, etc...

The biggest difference was being able to muster the courage to ask a girl out, while sober, sometimes get rejected, be able to FEEL bad about it sober, and grow. I can't express how valuable that is. And sex sober! That whole experience sober is something else...
Old 05-01-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I could write several paragraphs, but the first big positive in sobriety for me was the feeling of waking up after a few days sober without the dreadful thought: how am I going to get through the day? I remember the birds chirping outside and the sunshine coming through the curtains like it was a gift just for me. It had been years since I even bothered to notice those kinds of things or lay in bed just stretching and feeling content. Just happy to "be."
Old 05-01-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the puppy. What kind? I have a cavalier king charles spaniel and a MinPin, Pomeranian, Bishon, Chihuahua MUTT. LOL I let my daughter have the mutt but I've since adopted her. They are very therapeudic. I love taking them for long walks around town. I think everyone thinks I'm crazy I'm one of the few that actually puts a dog on a leash and walks them. They sleep with me, they share my ice cream, they relax with me and sit by my side.
I also do dog grooming and that, too, is very relaxing and therapeudic. I love it.

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue
is that he doesn't try to find out why.
-unknown
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I walked away from skid row, jails and nut wards. I got married. I've got seven grandkids that have never seen me drunk. I mourned the loss of the best bird dog I've ever seen. I ride motorcycles too fast and get about a ticket a year. I've watched thousands of other drunks rebuild lives that looked unredeemable. I've buried some that didn't make it and I've buried some after watching them go further than anybody ever thought they could. I bought a house. I rebuilt my life after that house burned. I have attended the weddings of several sponsees. I learned to ride a dirtbike while in my late 40's. I took that dirtbike on an offroad trip through central kansas and scared myself to death. I also rode that dirtbike 1400 miles on knobbies in 40 degree rain to ride with the patriot guard to honor Matt Maupin;

youtube.com/watch?v=YRuoJq3Mp-8

(I'm the second to last bike at 9:31)

I've made mistakes and cleaned them up. I've started a business and went broke.

Tomorrow I go and buy a 16th anniversary gift for my wife.

I try my best every day to make the lives of those around me a better place to be. Most days I succeed. No way I'd ever have done any of that drunk.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ranger congrats on the baby

-I love getting up without a headache or body aching from falling and don't remember.
-I now cut my grass to see how good it looks not to hurry and finish so I can down some beers.
-I love looking at my home that I have taken so much pride and care getting it to this point.
-I am teaching my child more lessons about God and what is expected of us as christians.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I could list everything everyday. Life is enjoyable in every way sober, but before I found sobriety I thought life was only enjoyable drunk. To have this complete change in my mindset after 27 years of thinking alcohol was happiness is truly eye opening for me. I used to live to drink, then I felt like I had to drink to live, now I live to live.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emeraldrose View Post
congratulations on the baby, ranger. I hope it doesn't look like joe dirt. Hehe
lol!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The first thing that tickled me in early sobriety...
my ability to do crosword Puzzles returned...

The most important ...the re connection to my childhood
God of forgivness and love.......

The most awesome adventure....finding the AA way of life.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have to say that today when I was cleaning and doing things I usually dread...I felt so much peace and gratefulness. No headaches or irritability. I want more days like that.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I could write several paragraphs, but the first big positive in sobriety for me was the feeling of waking up after a few days sober without the dreadful thought: how am I going to get through the day? I remember the birds chirping outside and the sunshine coming through the curtains like it was a gift just for me. It had been years since I even bothered to notice those kinds of things or lay in bed just stretching and feeling content. Just happy to "be."
Hear hear!!! That's exactly how I feel!!! I couldn't have described it better. Life is just....BEAUTIFUL.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Nice thread.

Like everyone said, there is so much and even day-to-day stuff I'm really glad I experience sober now. But, a few things I can look back at over the past year and say I'm especially glad I experienced (and celebrated or lived through) sober:

-A phone call about a birth and phone call about a death
-good professional news
-Seeing a few of my favorite bands (without the interruption of going back to the bar over and over to buy expensive drinks)
-Traveling/vacation
Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dfw

I'm happy that I'm sober because I'm just enjoying things I forgot I liked.

I played a pick up game of soccer (or real football, depending on where you're from).

I started writing stories and poems again.

I started writing music that actually had more emotion behind it than just, "this sounds like booze and drugs". If that makes any sense.

I've read more books in the past month than I have in the past few years.

In general I just feel better about what I do with myself. I think that's awesome enough.