Notices

How To Listen To God

Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awakening...

How To Listen To God

One of my hobbies is looking up old AA pamphlets, literature, speeches, ect. (Yeah, I'm an AA history geek.)
I found this pamphlet written in the 30's, "How To Listen To God" by John Batterson. It's a spiritual excercise, sounds really good.

How to Listen to God by John E Batterson, Oxford group Pamphlet 1930's
Old 04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I was fortunate enough to have been one in a group of three who started a "Back to Basics" meeting in my area, for beginners in AA who wanted to take the steps in the manner that they had in the early days of AA. In addition to following a script written by Wally P, we used several older writings and pamphlets as a compliment to the Big Book.

We used the How to Listen to God Pamphlet as part of those meetings. It is an interesting part of the past and can often explain some concepts of communication with a higher power that is a difficult part of the 11Th step for many to grasp.

Those meetings were very popular for several years and in fact were "exported" to several other areas of the country by members who had helped our group in Southern California.

Jon
Old 04-27-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link WakeUp. I enjoyed that.

Saved a shortcut on my desktop to it for reference.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

wakeup,a friend and myself used that pamphlet as our daily 11 th step guide for about 5 years.Everyday we would share our guidance with each other and I still have my notebooks where I wrote down my guidance.In early AA in some groups,they had a 11th step meeting using a format very similar to that one.Powerfull stuff!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
skg

Linda Douty did a piece a while back called, "Listening For God," that I really enjoyed. I've read the AA pamphlet and tried the exercise, too, though I've found different methods today.