Waiting - Language of Letting Go

Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Waiting - Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Waiting

Wait. If the time is not right, the way is not clear, the answer or decision not consistent, wait.

We may feel a sense of urgency. We may want to resolve the issue by doing something - anything now, but that action is not in our best interest.

Living with confusion or unsolved problems is difficult. It is easier to resolve things. But making a decision too soon, doing something before it's time, means we may have to go back and redo it.

If the time is not right, wait. If the way is not clear, do not plunge forward. If the answer or decision feels muddy, wait.

In this new way of life, there is a Guiding Force. We do not ever have to move too soon or move out of harmony. Waiting is an action - a positive, forceful action.

Often, waiting is a God-guided action, one with as much power as a decision, and more power than an urgent, ill-timed decision.

We do not have to pressure ourselves by insisting that we do or know something before it's time. When it is time, we will know. We will move into that time naturally and harmoniously. We will have peace and consistency. We will feel empowered in a way we do not feel today.

Deal with the panic, the urgency, and the fear; do not let them control or dictate decisions.

Waiting isn't easy. It isn't fun. But waiting is often necessary to get what we want. It is not dead time; it is not downtime. The answer will come. The power will come. The time will come. And it will be right.

Today, I will wait, if waiting is the action I need in order to take care of myself. I will know that I am taking a positive, forceful action by waiting until the time is right. God, help me let go of my fear, urgency, and panic. Help me learn the art of waiting until the time is right. Help me learn timing.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

For a codie like me, who ran on adrenaline for years at a time, waiting did not come easy...still doesn't.

But when I reflect on how much waiting can benefit me and make my life better, I remember to pause more often.

Waiting helps me to respond with thought, rather than "react" with emotion. Waiting helps me take time to weigh my options and make a good decision that is right for me.

They say that when we are ready the answer will come. Sometimes that entails waiting. Most times that helps me "hear" the answer more clearly.

Hugs
Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ann
Thank you for sharing this gem today.

Patience is not a strong suit for me. Even as a child, I couldn't wait to grow up. I couldn't wait to get boobs (it never happened by the way), I couldn't wait to move out, I couldn't wait to ________________ (fill in the blank).

Although I am not grateful for being the mother of an addict, I am very grateful for the lessons it is teaching me.

I'm getting more comfortable with waiting. I'm learning the meaning of "good things come to he/she who waits".

Waiting involves not predicting the future and staying in today. Living in the mystery that each day unfolds is a blessing and a gift. I am slowly learning to appreciate that gift and not tear the wrapping off but slowly tug at the tape, lift the corners gently, and savor the surprise.

I love it when you share these tidbits, Ann. They help me more than you know.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you thank you thank you thank you - x 1,000,000.

A good reminder --- I just want to jump in the deep-end whilst forgetting I can't swim that well... and end up feeling panicy, exhausted and just worn out. A very good thread.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is just what I needed to help calm the war between my heart and my mind, I can't describe the feeling that came over me while I was reading this it must me what inner peace feels like.Having lived my whole life surrounded by alcoholic/addicts it's a feeling I can't explain but it feels good.Thank you soooo much.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Glad you enjoyed it, and Meredith, those great feelings come more and more in recovery, like little gifts as we go.

The inner peace moments, the "aha" moments, and the times when we find that something that used to throw us off balance no longer does...all strangely wrapped gifts of recovery.

Happy Easter everyone.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, and Happy Easter! Patience is a huge issue for me right now. I always panic when uncertainty hits and try to do anything I can to move things in the direction that I want them to go. I am learning now to go with the flow and stop trying to change the currents of everything.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ann,
This is exactly what I was looking for today!!!!!! Thank you so much for this!!!