Notices

Sober but confused?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober but confused?

I'm 25 and have been drinking for about 5 years now- not much for the first 4 years (maybe once or twice a month and never a lot at that) but for the past year or so its got worse. Last 4 months i've been drinking 4-6 days a week and just about everyday for the past 2 months. The amount I drank also got worse with the drinking starting in the morning some days and me finishing up 3 quarters of a bottle of vodka through the day.

3 days back though I didn't drink at night- not a conscious decision, just didnt have any at home. At night I started having cold sweats and couldnt sleep well- so I googled alcohol dependency and the symptoms + where it could go scrared the hell out of me. I also saw clearly that my sleeplessness and sweats werent just a co-incidence.

Have been 3 days sober now. The first night was the worst- like I said I could hardly get an hour of sleep at night and woke up with my sheet soaked with sweat. The day began bad- with more chills etc. but improved thereafter and most of the day was fine. Night was uncomfortable for an hour or so but then I had interrupted sleep but I got a good 5-6 hours in and now I feel fresh and good.

I guess I have stopped way earlier than most here- but are there any users out there with similar (moderate?) dependency. Did yours detox (and associated symptoms) stop within a few days? I guess I am asking- is the worst over or can it still follow from your experience?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish I would of knew then at your age what I know now, i had all the clues just didnt act on them.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tomlinson
welcome

If you've been drinking just every day for 2 months, sometimes from morning, thats not moderate dependency.

I recommend seeing a Dr - just to be safe especially if you have been drinking regularly- detox can be tricky for some... and none of us are qualified to assess you, especially on the basis on one post.

but what you describe does remind me a lot of my detoxes...I drank everyday too...it would take me maybe a week to get back to some normalcy,

D
Old 04-19-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tominson... Welcome to SR! You've made a great decision to address your drinking. I think Dee's post is right on point. Everyone is different and detoxes vary from person to person. Best to have a check-up from your Doctor. Best wishes to you!

Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Tominson!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tominson, I think you made a great choice in quitting now. I started out drinking with friends because it was the cool thing to do, 20 years later it is not cool and it's a huge life altering problem. Detoxing is different for just about everyone if your scared for you health please go consult with a doctor. Good luck and I'm glad your here.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I somehow skipped the "moderate" withdrawl symptoms as you describe. I did not have any physical dependency upon alcohol other than the anxiety attacks for the first week.

I am only 31 and had been a binge drinker for 8-9 months when I realized I was drinking more than a normie and craving it more than a normie sleeping less than a normie, partying way more than any 31 yr old normie I know with 4 kids.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Tominson-

Welcome to SR!

I was surprised at my lack of detox symptoms, so I'm not going to be of much help there, but if you need any help with staying sober, just let me know.

Kjell~
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I did go to see a doc the day I read Dee74's post so thanks esp to you Dee!
He told me to hold on for another 2 nights to see if the symptoms return or get worse, in which case he would give me medicine- this after i spent a very normal day without any issues. Had a great night's sleep yesterday and awoke fresh and bright (a feeling i hadnt had for a while)... on my way out to office I threw out the 2 bottles of liquor I had left - today was absolutely fine as well! Hoping this lasts for another week, and then I can go out and celebrate... with a diet coke
Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome Tominson! Night sweats are what I experienced when i had tried to quit a few times, also tossing and turning. I am not looking forward to tonight because this is my first day. But i quit a few times for like 7 days and starting feeling so good that i thought hey a few drinks are not going to hurt and bam just like the vodka flowed like water every day. and man couldnt wait till saturday cause sunday morning i was on the booze for an all dayer since no work but monday i would have so much anxiety couldnt get nothing done watched movies or played games and that night is the worst! no sleep, and nightmares when i did fall a sleep for 30 minutes. not missing those 2 dayers but looking forward to no dayers