Notices

Rehab on Wednesday

Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab on Wednesday

In 2 days, I enter Homewood Health Centre near Toronto, Canada, for 5 week rehab - I asked for a SEMI-private room, so that I have another alkie to talk to late at night, when I can't sleep (I always used whisky or red wine or beer to self-medicate to get to sleep).

I am VERY scared.

My life revolves around alcohol - to take my mind off my back pain, off my anxiety at work, off my occasional spats with my wife, etc.

Thank God that I have some really good friends, and brothers and sisters, to support me - some will visit me at Homewood!

I don't know how the psychiatrists at Homewood will be able to remove the obsession to drink. I am utterly mystified, when I hear fellow AA'ers tell me that "at 9 months the obsession lifted", etc.

I pray for all of us.

Kelly
Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kelly

I know it's scary but I think it's a great move.

I'm guessing tho you'll find you'll have to do the work yourself to remove the obsession, not the psychiatrists

best of luck

D
Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you get to go. This will be time well spent. I would be interested in what they say you should do about your back pain.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I've been there, and it is scary, but it's also a relief in a way to just give up and put yourself in the hands of doctors and counselors who can help you. Getting all the help you can will only make your recovery start off that much stronger.

Look at it in a positive way - you're giving yourself a real gift and all those who love you will benefit, too.

I never thought the obsession would leave either. It's fades away slowly, but it does fade. Keep the faith!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't believe its almost time for you to go. I hope you can check in with us. I'm very curious as to what they do to beat the obsession/cravings. You're doing a great thing my friend!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi kelly
i sent you a pm hope you got it?
chin up lad your on the right path
Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I'm very curious as to what they do to beat the obsession/cravings. You're doing a great thing my friend!
"They" don't do anything to beat the obsession/cravings. "They" give one the 'tools' to work on one's self, and if one does the work, continues to do the work, slowly starts to take on new ways of living life, the obsession/cravings will leave.

Good luck, follow the Drs and Counselors suggetions, work your butt off and you will be amazed at what happens to you in just 5 weeks.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I echo Laurie's statements- follow all the suggestions, work your butt off and you will be amazed at what can happen in as little as 5 weeks.

Good luck to you!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Kelly you are gonna

come back a new man! I'll be here as we discussed, so hang in there bud. I did in hospital detox and out patient rehab as well as AA and here along with my doctor's excellent care through the whole thing, and family and friends. You should get all the tools you are willing to learn to succeed at this.

It was the start of my second chance to live my life differently. No one could give it to me, I could only take it for myself. That was only the first step. Now I have to actually live that life I knew was possible. That takes as much effort as the first step took. But gives even more rewards at the end of a well spent day.

I hope it is a good a start for you as I got from all my support group.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly, I am currently in a 21 day inpatient rehab, on day 12. This has really been a life changing experience for me, as i'm sure it will be for you. My advice would be to enter the program with the willingness to do anything on offer and to be as honest and open as possible. Good Luck!!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Kelly,

Congratulations - I know how scary this seems. I was in your shoes Dec 2009, and admitted myself into a 6 week program. What's crazy is how much my life has changed for the better. I didn't think I had any anxiety while I was drinking except when I couldn't drink. How wrong I was - alcohol has a major effect on the central nervous system.

You will need to be honest, open, and willing to change. This is your recoery and you will need to do the hard work to succeed. Even a month into my rehab I had delusions that I would somehow be the same person I was previously, just not drink. I was afraid I would lose myself to sobriety, because drinking wasn't what I did, subconsciously it was who I was. Looking back it's amazing where I am now in my life, I am happier, healthier, and whole. My outlook is similar to what it was when I was younger - life is full of possibilities. And yes, the obsession does lift. For me, it didn't take 9 months, and its not like you wake up and it's gone - it fades. You just have to keep working on your sobriety - replace all the pavlovian drinking actions with newer, healthier options and activities.

Let us know (when you can) how you are doing - we're all pulling for you!