need support

Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need support

looking to "talk" to someone who has been there.. I have just committed a family member who is addicted and not sure I am right to have done so. Does the guilt and doubt go away?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Frogger))) - welcome to SR!! This is a GREAT place for support, ES&H (experience, strength, and hope).

I'm a recovering addict (RA) as well as a recovering codie (codependent) with loved ones who are still A's (addicts).

I don't know the details of your story, but we're here for you. When I first got here, I read and read, then read some more. Realized I wasn't alone.

As far as the guilt and doubt? It takes quite a while to work through that, but this is a good place to do that.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-15-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know the whole story either (obviously) but personally I do think you did the right thing! Doing anything is better than doing nothing, I think anyway! If it was me and someone committed me to try to get me some help for my addiction i would know they cared, even if I didn't like being committed. I hope it helps them! I know there's no great cures out there and all the rehabs etc etc are faulty in some way, but if he/she wants to get better the opportunity is there. i hope they do for your sake as well.
I found whatever I did I felt guilt and doubt, but I don't regret the things I tried to do even if they didn't work. Many hugs to you. I hope things turn around xx
Old 04-15-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Everyone here has experience with loving an addicted loved one and we are all dealing with the various emotional effects that this disease has had on us. Doubt, guilt, self esteem issues, anger, fear, anxiety.....those are just a few of the things that we have to work through.

When you say "committed", do you mean that you have had them involuntarily taken in to a facility to address psychological issues? If this person is over the age of 18, there must have been some pretty compelling reasons to be able to do so.

Loving an addict isn't easy and if this has been a long term situation for you, there's a very reasonable chance that you have been affected by the fallout of the disease of addiction. Addiction is a family disease and no one in the immediate vicinity of the addict comes out completely unscathed.

Now that you have them in a place to get some help....perhaps it's time to get some help for yourself as well. This is a great place for support. There are also meetings (Naranon and Alanon) where you can find face-to-face support.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Years ago-late 80's we had my Mom-bipolar/alcoholic committed, she wasn't happy about it, begged us not to do it. I felt badly about it at the time but I don't recall feeling guilty, we had little choice.

The unfortunate thing, they won't keep anyone there for more than a brief period of time, IIRC it was 72 hours, then they simply let them go. You may have saved this persons' life, you tried to in any event.