Notices

Making myself Happy

Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Making myself Happy

I was going through a period of time where I was miserabe with sobriety. Everything was a grind, every hour sucked, then my "good" parts of the day I was too tired to do anything. This was not why I got sober. I started a list of things that make me happy, and I started working on doing the things that made me happy. Sobriety is not here to make you miserable. The amends, the meetings, the crazy people, the work with no relief was really wearing me down. It was important to enjoy my sobriety and then I got out of my funk. I started making time to enjoy my favorite music, my favorite foods, exersize. There are times with exersize is work and a time it is fun, I like love music and going for walks, but I never do it. So I made sure to get that done and play some video games. I am back to enjoying life alittle more. I go through rough spots or hours, but I have steps to do to work through it. Call someone, play some music, look at hot chicks in the internet, help people, ( yes I know that should be #1) be silly, write, write on line, take a shower, anything just keep yourself moving and you will be fun. Or just go to bed. My main point is if you aren't enjoying sobriety and you feel like it is just one big cross, take some time out to make sure you do something you love, if you don't have something you love, work on finding something you do.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes!! Good for you, McRibb!

I always believe my recovery requires balance, and I always suffer when I let things slide a bit. I'm glad that you found your way through the difficult time and that you have a way to enjoy your days.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I struggle by putting unnessessary pressure on myself to make money and a roof over my head as well. All I really do is not hurt people and stay sober, but I just love to make myself miserable by stressing myself out over money. Sometimes I just have to work with the fact that I may always be broke, but the least I can do for the world, God, others is not drink.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I wish there was a definate way to figure out when you are pushing yourself and when you are just going to far. Like yesterday, I saw a bunch of stupid people with their stupid faces at stupid meeting, a voice in me said, why make yourself miserable, you don't need this, I pushed through nd made it through the meeting, I was happy I made it through the meeting, was happy to be of service, but there are times I push through and I tell my sponser, well that sucked, and I still feel miserable, I am just going to bed tomorrow will be a new day. I guess it is always good to side with going to meetings and spending more time on your recovery than not.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for reminding me Mcribb. Great Post! I tend to do the same thing.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

One more thing THAT I HATE, is when I go to work, go to meetings, work on recovery, and then when it is time to enjoy my life, I am all sweaty and warn out. It is important for me to stop and realize that I am making a choice when I feel good to give to the Program of AA, Give to work, Give to other things. That is MY choice. So sometimes when I feel great it is important to say, you know I am going to give back, or I am going to enjoy a nice video game or walk. If you just grind it out you will be like me chewing out your sponser like, Giving all the time sucks where is my serenity, and then taking your sponser tipping him over and trying to dump out his serenity
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mcribb! I agree, sobriety should be enjoyed and a positive experience.

I once read about a someone who met an Irish Farmer who was always happy, so one day he asks the farmer "Why are you always so happy?" the farmer replies..."I make a habit of it."

I thought this really profound...being happy is a choice we make, I really believe this.

Have a great Monday.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This thread is exactly what I needed! Thank you!