Step 4

Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step 4

I started going to Al-Anon due to my now ex-boyfriend's alcoholism. Because I am co-dependent, I was trying to "help" him all the time by enabling him. By the grace of God I am out of that relationship and am now working on myself. I found a Step Study through my church and have found it extremely rewarding.

We are about to start on Step 4 - "Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves". Our group is lacking in sponsors so most of us have accountability partners, which is fine. However, I need some guidance from some one who has already done this Step. I'm just not sure the best way to start and do this inventory. Does any one have any links to some information online that I could read and learn about this? I am hoping to somehow find a sponsor but for now must go this alone.

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum but this is the forum I have been reading and have found every one so helpful.

Thanks to all.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by txfan77 View Post
I started going to Al-Anon due to my now ex-boyfriend's alcoholism. Because I am co-dependent, I was trying to "help" him all the time by enabling him. By the grace of God I am out of that relationship and am now working on myself. I found a Step Study through my church and have found it extremely rewarding.

We are about to start on Step 4 - "Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves". Our group is lacking in sponsors so most of us have accountability partners, which is fine. However, I need some guidance from some one who has already done this Step. I'm just not sure the best way to start and do this inventory. Does any one have any links to some information online that I could read and learn about this? I am hoping to somehow find a sponsor but for now must go this alone.

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum but this is the forum I have been reading and have found every one so helpful.

Thanks to all.
The best way I found in locating/identifying/understanding a framework for Step 4 is from the folks who've already worked Step 4. I would start with your accountability partner for resources.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Congrats on working on your step work = it is a beautiful healing journey!

But in all journeys - it is usually best to follow a path - I hope that you have already worked the first 3 steps before working on Step 4 ~ From my experience - it is usually best to have done some work on Steps 1, 2 and 3 before diving into the healing of Step 4.

If you have then what material have you used for those steps? I really like the "Paths to Recovery" book & "How Al-Anon Works"
There is also a workbook for Step 4 - that is very thorough.

PTR book has a chapter on each Step & then there are questions to answer - that usually lead to discussion that helps you work the step with your sponsor/accountability partner -

Hope this helps - Wishing the best of healing - after all - YOU deserve it!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I knew someone out there could give me some resources. You guys are the best.