Notices

having problems writing affirmations about myself

Old 03-28-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

having problems writing affirmations about myself

Am not 100% sure where to post this ??
My sponsor wants me to write affirmations about myself to help my self esteem and put them in front of the mirror and read them every time am in the bathroom .
But i don't know what to write that is good about myself.
I dont have very good self esteem at the best of times , i basically hate myself most of the time and am very negative about myself
for example when my husband says nice things about me i say back that am ugly or fat i cant see anything good about myself at all

But i need to put these things up all i have got is i am a worthwhile person.
but i cant think of anything and am finding it really hard to think of any
Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cant you ask them what to write?

There are loads to choose from...it might be a bit early, then again it might not, but i found the book "Heal your self esteem - recovery from addictive thinking" by Bryan Robinson to be a good source of info and with directions on affirmations...obviously this is not a substitute for working the steps of AA which i hope you are going to begin very soon with your sponsor too?!

Here is the link

Amazon.com: Heal Your Self Esteem: Recovery from Addictive Thinking (9781558741195): Bryan E. Robinson: Books
Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Willow - Try thinking in really, really basic terms....instead of trying to come up with huge, all-encompassing affirmations, think details....for example, if "I'm beautiful, inside and out!" isn't something you are ready for yet, maybe go with " I like my haircut and I feel compassion for sick children." Small steps will lead to bigger thinking and more self esteem as your recovery progresses if you are like me. Good luck! Jomey
Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My therapist gave me a list of affirmations this morning that may help:

I hold myself in high regard despite my imperfections and limits.
I am worthy to assert my God-given power in the world.
I am entitled to exist.
It is good that I exist.
I have my own identity that is distinct and unique.
I am worthy of being valued and paid attention to.
I am entitled to joy and pleasure.
I am entitled to make mistakes and not be perfect.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To add to Draciak's

I am a worthy human being
God loves me (or your choice of HP)
I love myself
We are all God's (or your choice of HP) children

Sometimes these are acts as if....while I grow spirtually, mentally and physcially.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I once read the suggestion that you start out with really simple things: I can tie my own shoes.

You probably learned to do that when you were about four years old, and it's a pretty complicated thing to learn when you are that age!

Sometimes you can think about personal qualities: I'm very loyal to my friends. I am a hard worker. I try to be fair to other people. I'm very honest.

Everyone has some good qualities. You probably have a lot you never even think about (which is why the affirmations are a good idea--to remind you).
Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are smart enough to post on SR when you need help!

You know when to ask for guidance.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did that too...kinda ...
I put post it notes in my apartement .."I Luv U"

the cleaning lady who came on Monday after
left me a note......
"I like you too Mrs. D."
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=LexieCat;2914717]I once read the suggestion that you start out with really simple things: I can tie my own shoes. QUOTE]

That's what I would have said...we chatted about that last week. LOL
It's true though, to start elementary and work you're way up you will also see how your self esteem grows through time.
From saying 'I can tie my shoes' to 'I am an awesome person and enjoy life'. That is a big accomplishment. You can watch yourself grow.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by XWillowX View Post
My sponsor wants me to write affirmations about myself to help my self esteem...
I don't have any experience with doing this, so take this with a grain of salt.

Consider if this is one of the actions that others in AA took to recover. What Step is this exactly? In another thread you mentioned your sponsor telling you to go to more meetings because you drank. Instead, has your sponsor sat down with you and talked about your experience with the mental obsession of alcoholism, using the BB as a guide?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It might be helpful to make a list of things you are thankful for. For example, simply reminding myself that I am an American makes me feel awesome. There are so many worse places to live (Libya comes to mind right now) that just thinking about all of the opportunities right in front of me makes me feel good about myself.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is part of renewing your self esteem...alot of alcoholics have issues with having low self esteem and that they deserve to be miserable and when something bad happens they can say 'see? I knew I'm a failure'. Trying to confirm their thinking.
By looking deep within yourself and finding good things, acknowledging that you are worth every breath you take helps to keep your self esteem positive and high.
I believe energy creates energy, postive energy produces positive actions therefore having positive results. You can not have negative thoughts about yourself and expect positive results.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
IO Storm

My answer is very simple...what about "I have a husband who says nice things about me?"
Many women don't..

All blessings to you, and start believing in the good things)))))
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Thanks everyone
My sponsor has only been my sponsor for a few days she is very busy at the moment with collage and other things in her life at the moment I will be seeing her on Thursday at an AA meeting and going to have dinner with her every Monday and an AA meeting
She has yet to go through the BB with me
Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

just do your best and be honest. If you can't think of any you can't think of any. Some people do these things and some people don't. Some people will stomp and say "We do dees things by da book!!!!" the truth is it takes different things to get people sober.