As usual I spoke too soon

Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

As usual I spoke too soon

When do I say enough is enough.. I feel like I am spinning like a wheel and I am DIZZY!!! He has not been living with me for the past year, but was kicked out of his friends, the parents caught him huffing in their house. He slept in a car for a few days..
Well the latest is he was diagnoses with Schizophrenia about 2 weeks ago and is getting injections... The psychiatrist said with this type of a dx he needed family support and lots of structure.. So me thinking once again I can help him let him come home with rules... All last week he was kept busy with my parents helping them at their house and we have been handing him his pills and watching him take them. It was a good week.. Well this morning, my dad took him to get his injection and meet with the psychiatrist.. randy asked for something to detox of of opiates... I am at a loss... what do I do? I am completly fing fed up, exhausted, tired of dealing with this crap... Do I say ok go figure it out get your stuff and leave.. OR is he even capable of taking care of himself... It was much easier without the diagnosis. I feel helpless right now and at a loss!
He does have court this Friday for probation violation (it's his second time for a violation) so he maybe going to jail. I hope he does cause I dont know what to do. I want to cry and throw up.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((enodm)))

You have a lot of uncertainty and questions but no guidance or answers. Are you able to talk with his psychiatrist? My first question would be is the addiction causing the schizophrenia? It's fairly standard that addiction has to be treated first before mental illness. I think it's a good thing that your son is thinking of detox.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They are nor sure if the addiction is causing the schizo. He wont quit using long enough to find out. He just told me he wanted the pills to "detox" so he could sell them for money. The psychiatrists told him no they would not give him a script, which is good!!
I just got off the phone with him and told him I hope he goes to jail cause I sick of this sh*t he is doing to himself. I prob said a few things I didnt need to but oh well I am fed up with all of this..
Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry I skipped your very first question! You get to say when you've had enough. Your son can take his own meds or not, that is his choice. If he needs assisted living, his psychiatrist is able to recommend that.

enodm, an old school friend of mine was diagnosed schizophrenic in his late 20's. His family tried everything possible to help him but as soon as he felt better, he started using drugs again and stopped taking his meds. After he passed out on someone's front lawn in the neighborhood, in a foot of snow and suffered hypothermia, they finally had enough and had him made a ward of the court. He had become a danger to himself. He's been living in a group home for the last 15 years or so and doing very well. I always ask about him when I go 'home'.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enodm View Post
He just told me he wanted the pills to "detox" so he could sell them for money.
You're very fortunate that he's being truthful, no matter how ugly it is. What do you want to do now with that knowledge? How do you feel about letting him continue to stay at your home? You get to call the shots.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chino-I really dont know what to do with it... I did tell him if he does not go to jail (which I hope he does) and he continues to stay with us he has to start back into treatment tonight. He says but it caused me anxiety I told him i did not care, suck it up, get over it and do what he needs to do OR he will be asked to leave.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enodm View Post
He says but it caused me anxiety I told him i did not care, suck it up, get over it and do what he needs to do OR he will be asked to leave.

He has a psychiatrist who can help him with the anxiety, all he has to do is ask for help
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lots of things cause me anxiety..I don't use that to threaten people..the people at my RADs rehab used to call her out on that BS by saying "i don't negotiate with terrorists" I love that!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Terrorists sums it up, that's for sure LOL!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One more thing I said was if he is staying at my house.. It's MY way or the HIGHWAY, which means go back to his three night a week IOP... He said he will take the highway.. So, I guess that was easy!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Easy peasy when they are nowhere near ready...