Notices

born again

Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

born again

does anyone use this idea when thinking about problems etc that crop up sober.

ive just been tackling some issues and wound up instead of 'this always happens', 'well if that happens it will be the first time sober'

kinda helped

kevin
Old 03-25-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I once posed a poll on this topic...do people feel like a new person, the same or like they are rediscovering their best self. I think this is what you are getting at. Many felt that they were essentially born again. I was more in the camp of rediscovering my authentic self
Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Kevin-

Yes, most of my experiences in life now that I'm sober feel like I've never done them before.

It feels this way b/c I'm a different person now, so in some ways, they are completly new experiences.

I went bowling last night and it was very strange doing this sober. Heck, just socializing sober is weird, but I'm getting better at it.

Kjell~
Old 03-25-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do feel like I was born again. I am 24 years old, but I am feeling emotions that I haven't felt in 5 to 10 years or more. It is as if I am "remembering" emotions. I like your way of thinking, where if something happens, it is "the first time X happened when you were sober". I think it is a good way of healing and learning.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've heard it explained in AA as the "awakening of the soul". If I look at how I act and how I think (most of the time) I am a completely different person than when I quit. Not saying I'm perfect, because I'm not, but the way I respond to the world is much different than when I was drinking. I used to feel either very important or completely useless. Today I try and live in the middle. Lessening the importance of myself has been so freeing...

Depending on a HP, helping others, being an active part of a group, etc... all of these things get me in the light (living out loud).

I do feel "born again" but I know that it takes a ton of work on my part. It's not as if I can make these changes and then abandon my recovery plan and I will continue to get the results.

Just my two cents.... Best of luck!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I think Born again is a great way to describe the miracle of recovery. I also look at it like my soul has awoken.

I try and see all sides of things now instead of being closed minded and having an all or nothing attitude unless of course it comes to my HP then he is either all or nothing.

It has taken years and working the steps several times to begin to adopt this new way of thinking it sure didn't come over night or even in my first few years.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes and no...although I had been connected spiritually about 5 years ago I believe that has influenced my 'power' THIS TIME to be successful in sobriety. I had tried many times to stop...but considering things happen in time when they should I believe that my 'awakening' occured so THIS time I could be successful. If that makes sense. It was a matter of everything coming together at the right time. And it took this long...
Of course, now since the fog has lifted everything seems different. Feeling life sober all the time is a new feeling. To wake up every morning in a clear head and know what you said the night before. To know that you are no longer denying life, hiding it or
lying about it is refreshing. But I am still me...I always liked me I just didn't like how I treated me.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevinlednylon View Post
ive just been tackling some issues and wound up instead of 'this always happens', 'well if that happens it will be the first time sober'
May I add...That is a great way to look at it!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm feeling this too. Doing things that I've done before but now they feel new. Like a kid. It's good.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
I used to feel either very important or completely useless. Today I try and live in the middle. Lessening the importance of myself has been so freeing...

Depending on a HP, helping others, being an active part of a group, etc... all of these things get me in the light (living out loud).
Had to quote this b/c it's AWESOME (and very well said).
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

oops i didnt mean to click this drat