Notices

Fear of Friday

Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of Friday

Hey all...I'm sitting here all jumpy and worried about tomorrow (Friday). This weekend will be my first weekend completely alcohol free, and I am very worried about it. Before I quit drinking I could make it through the weekdays if I tried hard enough, but usually by Thursday night I would be so excited about Friday because I knew I could drink. Now here I am wondering how I'm going to handle it. I never went out to drink...it always happened here in my own home. I really feel like if I can make it through this first weekend, I'll be home free!! But I'm a little scared because my manipulative alcoholic brain is already trying to tell me things like, "Your husband is going to be gone...nobody would know if you had a little to drink." I'm not going to listen, but it freaks me out that it's coming on so strong right now.

Thoughts? Advice?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Find a local AA meeting.. you don't have to do sobriety alone
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi saphira

Friday used to be a really big deal for me - now it's another day.
It takes a little time, and some commitment, but you'll get there too.

It's already Friday here - I'm having a sober one

Anyone who wants is welcome to join me - we're open 24/7 here right over the weekend too

D
Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Find something to do. I go for a run. Before the run I want to drink and when I come back I always feel like I have done something good for myself and I don't drink.

I do eat chocolate though...
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a good idea. You could join a sport club that meets on Friday night. Learn Yoga, or something similar.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Think of the weekend as your opportunity to do something new and exciting... completely alcohol free. Now that you don't drink you can go hiking or like others have said join a club.

Surround yourself with people that are not drinking, and whatever you do for now, stay away from places that serve alcohol. That always screws me over, yeah maybe just one... what's a beer? Trust me do not do it and look at your weekends as a positive thing, you are better than sneaking a drink in.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meetings. As many and as often as you need for support through the weekend. Get a phone number or two. Meet a new sober friend for coffee. Keep yourself within a sober support system and not isolated over the weekend.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My advice is to stay in the moment. Don't worry about how many days you have in, or how many days lay ahead. Simply focus on what you can do today to support your decision to quit. For me, that means going to an AA meeting. Just as you used to say "I just need to get to Friday". I now say, "I just need to get to my meeting". Once I do, the idea of drinking leaves.

Hope this helps. If we sit in our own head we will typically think of drinking because that's what we've done for so long. Our thoughts follow our actions, not the other way around... Best of luck to you!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, plan ahead and keep busy. Find things to do that are enjoyable and relaxing and focus on those.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

there are so many fun things you can do sober that you cannot do if you are drinking....You can drive anywhere (or ride a bike), movies, shopping, get organized, get rid of clutter (this helps my head).
Old 03-25-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Saphira, I did 99% of my drinking alone as well and wasn't sure if I knew what to do on a Friday night alone w/o my wine, so early on I started treating myself to a special dinner or dessert on Fridays and that was my reward doing something special for me. Now I can't imagine how I ever had time to drink.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Weekends were very hard initially because I had no idea what to do with my time...now I can't do half the things I want to!

Take it easwy on yourself at first...try to do one new thing every day no matter how small...you have to think of it as relearning how to live...if you get an urge jump on SR its quoted on the weekends but usually some people are around...it gets easier
Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Don't be afraid. Embrace it. Make some awesome plans. Treat yourself!! Whatever you do, stay busy.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Earth Child

I never had a problem what to do on a Friday because i never went out on a Friday night because there was too many people for me i went out during the week days mainly a Thursday or Sunday night. either way i know that you be wondering what to do with your time.
why not get a film in with sober friends get some pop corn a meal and make a night of it .
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Saphira-

I remember what that was like. It was scary.

When I first got sober, there was literally too much time in the day for me.

How sad and pathetic is that? To not be able to be comfortable with how much life I have?

(think about that)

Now that I'm recovered, I would never, ever wish any time away.

It's amazing what we were and what we're able to become with a good solid program of recovery.

We can and do recover and you can be living proof.

Kjell~
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

How's it goin, saphira? The first Friday night was the worst for me, although I drank at home, too. It's just the idea of people out partying, I think, but it really didn't matter what day of the week it was when I was drinking. It was all in my head.

One thing that kept me going was thinking about the next morning with no hangover, as opposed to all the bar-goers that would be spending the whole morning in bed.

You could make Friday night "movie night" or "out-to-dinner-night" - put aside the money you would have spent drinking and plan a weekend vacation.......

Hope you're hanging in there - we're all behind you!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Hope things are going okay for you...best of luck!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Saphira,
I was also concerned this week about Friday. I made a plan, stuck to it and made it through. Use the money you would have spent on alcohol to do something nice for yourself! I ofter use this as a motivation to stay sober.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Why not hit the movie theater? Don't have to worry about drinking there and it's something that most people enjoy doing that is alcohol free.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Or the library..pick up some good books. I spent ALOT of time here early on...It is really about changing up your life. Fill in the time you used to drink (for me that was after work at 3PM until I killed off all the booze in the fridge) with other activities. In time..not drinking becomes the normal thing..I thought about it less and less. Hopefully it will work that way for you too!