I'm back...this time with AH being somewhat sober.....

Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back...this time with AH being somewhat sober.....

Last time I was here, I struggled with an addicted husband to opiates 20-30 Vicodins, paired with 80-160mg OXy a day....well good news is, that he started taking suboxone and is doing great on it!!!!

However, he now takes a crap load of anxiety pills.....over does them because he falls asleep in middle of day and not wake up for 10 hours later....

This bothers me. Why? His Dr prescribed it, but when I see him act "weird" I feel like he's back to his old opiate self but he's not.

I think he is addicted to those now...He takes 2-3 Klonopin or Lorazapam a day, plus Trazadole to sleep at night. He only has 18 pills left out of 60 prescribed to him on the 8th of this month...That seems like an awful lot. I feel like he's taking them to get high...on Sunday he took 5.

What can I say or do? I'm suprised the Dr who prescribed him thosse and Suboxone didn't tell him he needs therapy or couseleing or a program.....I feel like I'm always suspicious and not celbrated his success of getting off Opiates.

Thanks for listening.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
tam

confusedasalways, so sorry your still dealing with this. Im not a professional,but it seems to me he is abusing these meds as well..
have you talked to him about his recovery program? do you go with him
to the drs?

in any event and most importantly are you working on a recovery program for yourself so you can cope and handle the situation?

are you taking care of you? maybe it would help you to not focus on him and let him worry and help himself?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, he won't let me go to any appt with him. I see a therapist but I'm thinking it's not enough.

I feel so resentful still, yet feel guilty that I hate him still even after he's off all the oxy and vicodins....shouldn't I at least leave him credit for that. Even though I know deep down he is abusing anxiety pills now.

I did find a nar-anon meeting 30 min away but it's hard with three small children to take care of.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

.shouldn't I at least leave him credit for that. Even though I know deep down he is abusing anxiety pills now.
NO. All he has done is SWITCH his DOC. He is ABUSING his prescription meds BIG TIME.

He is an addict. He is obviously not working a program, so ..................... that brings us to you.

You say there is a Naranon meeting about 30 minutes away. Have you also checked the AlAnon meetings? I ask because it is the same program and many times there are lots more AlAnon meetings available than Naranon, and more meetings in a time slot that might work for you.

It sounds to me like your AH is just going through the motions to keep you off his back and is not yet ready to find recovery and work very hard for recovery. So again, back to you, what can you do for you and your children to keep yourselves safe?

We are here for you, post as often as you need to. Hopefully you have a copy of "Co Dependent No More" by Melodie Beattie. If not it is available on Amazon at a very reasonable price. Read it, with a HIghlighter in hand. Highlight what 'pops' out at you. When you get done, go back and write about each item you highlighted.

Then, read it again with a different colored Highlighter. You get the picture but it is amazing how much that book alone can get you on your own road to recovery.

Even when we stay with our A's we have to let them go. We make sure that finances are protected as much as possible, we do things with our children knowing full well the A won't be up to 'it'. We go on with life.

When possible (and we are ready) we get our A out of the house to allow them to feel the full consequences of their actions.

But mainly we take care of ourselves and our children if still at home.

So, ask away, there are plenty of folks on here who have been where you are now and will be more than happy to share their ES&H with you.

I personally would kick his butt out, but that is me, lol

Just remember that even though we are not physically there with you, we are with you in spirit, so when something happens, just visualize whatever room you are in filled with the folks here at SR, believe it or not it does help.

Please keep posting as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Ativan and Klonopin are very common prescriptions that people can abuse. If he was taking it as prescribed he might get sleepy but would not pass out for 10 hours.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone,

I appreciate your words. Sometimes I feel like I justify his use but I know in reality it's wrong and not a life to live.

He has been asking me latley if I'm going to leave him once I'm done with Nursing school and as mush as I dislike his behovior, I deep down love him and can't imagaine my kids w/o their dad.

Thanks for your support and I'll be back.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I deep down love him and can't imagaine my kids w/o their dad.
May I suggest that you go do some reading on the ACOA forum to see what will happen to your kids as adults by living with and being influenced by a practicing A?

It might give you a new perspective on your whole situation.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by confusedalways View Post
Last time I was here, I struggled with an addicted husband to opiates 20-30 Vicodins, paired with 80-160mg OXy a day....well good news is, that he started taking suboxone and is doing great on it!!!!

However, he now takes a crap load of anxiety pills.....over does them because he falls asleep in middle of day and not wake up for 10 hours later....

This bothers me. Why? His Dr prescribed it, but when I see him act "weird" I feel like he's back to his old opiate self but he's not.

I think he is addicted to those now...He takes 2-3 Klonopin or Lorazapam a day, plus Trazadole to sleep at night. He only has 18 pills left out of 60 prescribed to him on the 8th of this month...That seems like an awful lot. I feel like he's taking them to get high...on Sunday he took 5.

What can I say or do? I'm suprised the Dr who prescribed him thosse and Suboxone didn't tell him he needs therapy or couseleing or a program.....I feel like I'm always suspicious and not celbrated his success of getting off Opiates.

Thanks for listening.
HELLO! Yup, been there, done that, have the t-shirt. My hubby started on suboxone 5 years ago for the pain-pill addiction. That is when his alcoholism got even worse. He told his psych that he was stressed out all the time because of me - so he have him a rx for klonopin. He got 60 on Monday - I found them on Thur and he only had 38 left. His motto is "if 1 is good then 3 is better". His therapist who he sees weekly and I go with him to 1x a month, now has me holding his meds and doling them out. While it gives me some (false) peace of mind, I take what I can get.

It's a hard life to lead. I face the same battle as you daily. Not sure how much longer I am willing to fight it. Good luck to you.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know I'm not the best person to get advice from as I too am really struggling. I know very well what it feels like to not know if you should be confused, angry, happy, sad, etc etc. I have always lived by the philosophy that God does not give you more than you can handle. He gives you opportunities to follow His word. I will pray that you find the answers you are searching for and peace in the decisions you make.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I am looking forward to a face to face to sort through some of these feelings.

All I want to to have a normal life again, whatever that is.

Thanks for the book advice, I ordered it today.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My AH was addicted to some of the same. Oxi, percocet, xanex. Then it got to a point where he would take all his pills and pretty much take whatever he could get his hands on. Then he quit taking all the narcotics. He was using xanex to battle the withdrawls. I was told that he had quit taking them. About a month or so ago I found out he was taking xanex again. He stopped but then od on ativan and opannas? The doctor told me that he had taken 6 ativan out of a prescription that was filled earlier that day. I didnt even know he had a prescription or that he was seeing a doctor for anxiety. Your husband is certainly overdoing it on the meds. Its addiction, thats what it does.

It certainly makes things harder when kids are involved. I am living it right now. I am hurt, angry, betrayed, stressed to the max but I am taking steps to take care of myself and my child at this point. I realized that he has made me unhealthy. I have to draw the line and I have. Now I am just trying to figure out what my plan is. Its not an easy thing to go through
Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's not unusual for psych docs to give anti-anxiety when people are trying to get off of opiates. However, it sounds like he is abusing those meds. The trazadone is not an anti-anxiety, and should not promote addiction. It is an anti-depressant that docs use to treat insomnia.

It is understandable that you are concerned, but it is not something you can control. He has to make the decision whether or not to follow his doctors orders. The only thing you can control is what you are going to do about the situation. Is this an o.k. situation for you and your kids? Is this acceptable behavior in your home?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ugh, I feel for you. Our friend was actively drinking bottles of vodka and taking way too many of his benzos (lorazepam and buspar) to get as high as possible. He's miraculously been able to stop drinking (the dr. has him on topomax and antabuse), but he's still taking way too many benzos and simply looses days at a time. Even when he's not abusing his prescriptions, his memory is shot and he's not the person he was even a year ago. It's so sad and unbelievably frustrating to me because he tries to tell me how he's not an addict and because they are prescribed, that it's "fine". Not when you take 20-30 at a time.

Sorry, I went on for too long. Please take care of yourself and think of your kids in this situation. They rely on you and your decisions. All the best.