Notices

Phantom Thoughts

Old 03-12-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Phantom Thoughts

When I quit smoking I thought about cigs for a while, then when I stopped thinking about them constantly I would reach for my pocket for a cig then realize I had quit, it's like I knew I had quit but part of my brain still went through the actions, like auto pilot.

I started doing that tonight with alcohol, I wasn't thinking about it at all then all of a sudden I wanted a beer and actualy thought about getting one, then all at once I remembered I have quit.

In that instance, the feeling made me sick to my stomach to know I can't ever have another drink, but I quickly dismissed the thought and it's been ok since.

I guess that part of me will have to feel the pain at times for this part of me to move on, very weird feeling and I hope it doesn't happen too often, I guess I just have to keep reminding myself and others that I don't drink anymore.

I suppose I am not alone in this?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter View Post
I started doing that tonight with alcohol, I wasn't thinking about it at all then all of a sudden I wanted a beer and actualy thought about getting one, then all at once I remembered I have quit.

You mean 'getting one' as in going to the fridge or 'getting one' as in getting in your car and going to the store? It is easiest to let go of cravings if alcohol is not kept in the house.
I think everyone has 'moments' of thinking about having a drink. That's how relapses happen -some can not resist.
I prefer to think about all the pain it has caused in my 30 year career. The guilty feelings, the shame, the never to get back time feelings, the blackouts, the running to the store in frantic mayhem to get more.
Hopefully, your cravings don't last...and hopefully, you have support to help you thru.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you drank like me, you drank for 20 years and it was the major part of your life.
I found myself half asleep looking in the fridge for a bottle more than once.

It takes time to change your life, it takes effort to learn that feelings are not imperatives, and it takes commitment to stay focused on your new goals.

But the rewards are enormous

D
Old 03-13-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
I prefer to think about all the pain it has caused in my 30 year career. The guilty feelings, the shame, the never to get back time feelings, the blackouts, the running to the store in frantic mayhem to get more.
This is what has given me problems, in my weak moments I need to work on identifying the problems that my drinking has caused me, because I tend to automatically think of the "good times" ahead
Old 03-13-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter View Post

.........but I quickly dismissed the thought and it's been ok since.

You can, and should, be proud of yourself for dismissing the thought instead of acting on it. Be proud instead of remorseful, remorse is just another thought.

I had an associate who always reached for his shirt pocket after a meal. I never knew he smoked. When asked, he explained he started smoking at 13 Y.O.. He quit about 15 years ago! Old habits die hard
Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
You mean 'getting one' as in going to the fridge or 'getting one' as in getting in your car and going to the store? It is easiest to let go of cravings if alcohol is not kept in the house.
I was actualy driving home and a thought simply jumped into my head as I drove by my usual store, funny how things can trigger thoughts.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you drank like me, you drank for 20 years and it was the major part of your life.
I found myself half asleep looking in the fridge for a bottle more than once.
I had a place in my fridge for my beer for years and years, I would get upset if I came home with a 12 or 18 pack and the "spot" was taken, God I was such an Ahole and so selfish.

it's day 21 and the spot is still empty, I guess my family has habits too, thanks for getting me to think about that.

Think I'll remind them today that they can fill that area with whatever they want, it's there fridge too, and apologize for being such a selfish ahole.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chico, In the past I too gave in in these type moments, split second thoughts can have lasting affects if acted upon.

Ste, that's amazing 15 years later, i know a guy who still chews toothpicks after quitting 10 plus years. And yea I am proud.

it's day 21! Whoot!!!